Question Enable integrated GPU without display or OS installed

Apr 1, 2020
Hi there,

I have ASUS ROG GL 702VM laptop. The laptop's display suddenly went off without working load on it but the laptop was still powered on. I sent the laptop to ASUS tech support to examine it and they told me that the laptop's mobile GPU is dead(GTX 1060 6 GB) and it requires a new motherboard which is not a cheap solution. The problem makes sense because that laptop has an awful cooling system. I just want the laptop to get its display working to have the laptop working again. Unfortunately, the laptop doesn't have its SSD and therefore no OS to boot on. The laptop is entering BIOS and the only thing I can do there is to exit from it.

I tried a bootable USB and it didn't boot on it. I also tried to reset CMOS to make sure that the integrated graphics is not enabled in BIOS but it seems I need to enable it.

So I have some alternative solutions to get working with:
  • A similar laptop to view the BIOS from it to enable the integrated GPU
  • Connecting an external GPU using the mini PCIe interface
  • installing a hard drive or and SSD having an OS to be able to use Intel AMT
I recently saw a video for Linus Tech Tips video:
View: https://youtu.be/8Xanr4jkmEc

Facing a similar problem but with a desktop GPU and his theory is that due to overheating, the GPU soldered components may disconnect from the PCB that cause the GPU not to work. The solution for that is to expose the GPU to a sufficient temperature for soldering so not soldered parts come back to the PCB peacefully and he really succeeded in doing that.
This is the last solution to go with eventually. (surely without using the oven)

For now, what I really need is screenshots for the BIOS from a similar laptop to enable the integrated graphics or a way to boot on the USB to use intel AMT.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Your integrated graphics is probably not disabled, they are both enabled by default and the system swaps between that and the add-on card as needed based on the video options. You said the system enters the BIOS but you can't do anything to get into the BIOS correct? If you can see it enter the BIOS that would mean the onboard video chip is active.

Apr 1, 2020
Your integrated graphics is probably not disabled, they are both enabled by default and the system swaps between that and the add-on card as needed based on the video options. You said the system enters the BIOS but you can't do anything to get into the BIOS correct? If you can see it enter the BIOS that would mean the onboard video chip is active.
Sorry for not making that clear but there no display at all, the laptop is working and I can open BIOS but I can't see anything.
The onboard GPU is dead, so the system have to make the switch but that is not happening.
It is bizarre because what you said makes sense as the GTX 1060 is Nvidia Optimus compatible.
Is that means that the onboard GPU is able to pass POST and boot?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sorry for not making that clear but there no display at all, the laptop is working and I can open BIOS but I can't see anything.
The onboard GPU is dead, so the system have to make the switch but that is not happening.
It is bizarre because what you said makes sense as the GTX 1060 is Nvidia Optimus compatible.
Is that means that the onboard GPU is able to pass POST and boot?

Thank you.

How do you know you are in the BIOS if there is no display?
The system would be using the onboard video card first then would use the nVidia card once Windows loads.
Have you tried using an external display?

Apr 1, 2020
How do you know you are in the BIOS if there is no display?
The system would be using the onboard video card first then would use the nVidia card once Windows loads.
Have you tried using an external display?

I am using power LED for power status and the CapsLock LED to see if I can use the keyboad.
I am using these LEDs for feedback.
I used a similar laptop manual to see the BIOS interface
here is the manual I used:https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/GL702VT/0409_E11310_GL702VT_A.pdf

And there is a screenshot from the manual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R3Fv0cXaZxfeeoMX_3CsySjvPlrOZphN/view?usp=sharing

From that image I can imagine the BIOS interface and barely navigate through it and the only thing I can do is to save and exit.
To make sure that I am in the BIOS, I used shortcuts as f10 to save and exit.
The laptop will shutdown and restart when I leave the BIOS. This is my indication that I am in the BIOS.

Yes, I used and external display through HDMI interface and nothing showing.
There is a mini display port and I didn't test it.

Last edited: