Enterprises Quickly Adopting iPads; Android Behind

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]AFAIK, there is no way to activate ipads without itunes, but there is no similar thing for Android tablets. Very difficult to keep track of these. Most tablet users utilize Wifi and do not use wireless data/activation ~~ I bought an Asus Transformer and I can tell it's far superior to any ipad. Itunes keeps track of every device and reports it accordingly, even if there is only one user/account. If the same account has 3-4 idevices, they are all registered and reported individually,hence inflating the numbers.[/citation]

1 - The XOOM will not work without a 3G account activated. It will just sit there.

2 - iTunes (which I DON'T actually use for any media - just to talk to my iPad) is a media player / Media manager / App & Media store / hardware manager thats works very very well for most people. Since most i-Device users will be making use of iTunes, it makes sense to register their devices to their accounts. It is also helpful when such devices are stolen.

3 - ASUS Transformer is a well thought out device... is it better than an iPad2? In some ways yes, in others - no. I hate 16x9 screens and if I go with an Android device, I'm thinking the Lenovo ThinkPad tablet (They should have called it ThinkTab or ThinkPad Pad LOL). I want a physical HOME button.

4 - The confusing part from YOU. "If the same account has 3-4 idevices, they are~reported individually,hence inflating the numbers." Huh? If a person has bought 4 devices, then it still counts as 4 SOLD devices. There is no inflation there.

I have 4 Windows7 PCs in my home. I use 2 of them for myself exclusively. It is still 4 PCs, but with 2 users. Now I could buy Office 2010 Pro, (1 sale) but install it on my 2 computers, because I'm a single user. But the two PCs are still two PCs.

So my future tablet purchase is unknown... mostly. My iPad1 will go to mom (who won't use a computer) when I'm ready to buy a new model with cams and most likely 3/4G.

1 - iPad3 = 60%
2 - ThinkPad Tablet 20%
3 - Galaxy Tab 10 15%
4 - Asus Transformer 5%

RIM and WebOS, I'm not interested in. WP7 is not out for tablets... and WP8 won't be a viable platform until 2013~2014.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I'm an IT consultant and I do typically see more users with iPads than Droid tablets so I can believe the basic premise of this study. I do quite a bit of work with a handful of law firms and end up doing tasks for some of the partners. I do see quite a few of them with iPads.

The thing you have to realize is that, while these people are absolutely brilliant in their own fields, they are clueless with technology. Apple is a marketing juggernaut and if I had a nickel for every time I've heard, "Well, my son/daughter told me I should get one!" I'd be a rich man right now.

So basically when 8 year olds see something shiny on the TV, mom and dad have to rush out and buy one. I'm not saying they're not cool devices but if I were to buy a tablet, I would do my homework and buy something Android based.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
iPads are the leaders right now as rounded finished products for the general public but also for some professionals. Screens could improve a lot, right Tom's?, but sure I will love much more on the same price and I can't justify one for myself. Any other tablet being 30% faster at the same price point won't help me choose either. I will wait.

Still some considerable tension on both sides (iOS/Android), but way better than some other post I've been here. At least I can read most of the reasons and understand most points (leaving some insults a side). Keep it civilized please, because we want to get to know better the user experience you provide to make up our minds in my a future buy and I think this is the most useful service you can do.

A very bad argument and discriminatory is that Android people don't mind to think or that they are used to think more, because when you drive a car the last thing you want to do is think about the driving mechanics and most people are not really car engineers or professional drivers, even less racing drivers. I am a power user but I don't think my family is dumb because they want to just accomplish some computer task, on a phone, tablet or using any device, and so other people. Use your brain power to figure your life and help others. I can't say a tablet demonstrate how dumb someone is, but that they can live with that amount of power and functionality.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Good point jecastej. I bought my android phone for flexability. I don't do as much as some, but most android users will use the phones as is... Like any other computer device. I'm still a bit surprised than many young adults and teens who don't really know how to use a computer... Facebook, mail, IM, office is about the most they can handle. (my first computer was an 8 bit commodore with 3K of ram) My son at age 6 has a better a better understanding of computers than them. Since 3, he can setup a pc by himself ( mouse, kb, VGA, Internet etc) as he learns most by himself.

But for a portable device than needs access to Internet, a tablet does pretty good. Sure the power is that of a 2002 computer, but it's enough. With age, work, family life... I've learned to want products that work, as do my clients... And I know what I'm doing. In my teens and young adult days, I could spend days, weeks learning and tweaking a computer. Part of the learning process.

So, in the end... All of these tablets types will handle the basics. Web, videos, photos, music, presentations and even work. It's about personal preferences... Since they all costs about the same.

(typed on an ipad1 on a sofa, while my Thinkpad is a few feet away)

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
My biggest issue with tablets is that they are still a device that you have to carry, but you can't type properly on it. We forgive the lack of being able to type on phones, because they are so portable that you can just drop them in your pocket, but tablets have to be carried around. For those who don't know how to properly type, and have to watch your figures as you type, it may not be a large difference between a tablet and a notebook, but for someone who can type, it's a hard sale for a lot of work. That said, I could see it useful as a portable presentation device, but even a laptop does better at that.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
You guys need to understand they're talking about a business environment, like actually using iPhones and iPads for working.

Now I don't know about you, but the simple fact that even with Android 2.3, you still cannot use a proxy AND WPA2 enterprise encrypted WiFi. Both of which are kinda mandatory in most businesses. Therefore you can imagine Android being not very popular with businesses.

On that note, why the hell did they leave those out? That's shooting themselves in the foot, really. This has been one of the major drawback ever since Android came out, was reported, but never got any response.

G

@trandoanhung1991
"Now I don't know about you, but the simple fact that even with Android 2.3," Thats odd considering that my work uses the same type of network and i have the same type setup at home and i have no issues connecting. No rooting or alternate roms needed either, just went to the wifi options menu selected my network and typed in the password

Status
Not open for further replies.