Erase personal data for resale old laptop Acer Aspire D250-1165 (2005 MFG date)...

cloudskipper

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
I have an older mini laptop & I want to - Erase personal data for resale Acer Aspire D250-1165 (2000 MFG date)... It is mine had it for ages I believe since 2005. I don't have any key, liscence key, etc. I don't believe I have anything important, that is 'that old' I should even worry about but am still concerned. What can I do without any "keys" at this point? Also, I have no experience with this ever.

derekullo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
From some google'ing it appears the laptop has, 1.6-GHz Intel Atom N270 processor, 1GB of memory.

The only operating systems with a chance of running are Windows XP or lower, or Linux.

With linux it would be perfect for some one to check email on the couch.

If you are comfortable installing linux yourself, you may be able to charge a little bit more.

I would say something like $50 without linux with a blank hard drive or $75 with linux.

The above pricing may even be on the high side.

The computers you are selling against would probably be "Chromebooks" which BestBuy has starting at $140.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Wipe the drive completely. As above, DBAN.
2005...2000?..what OS was on it originally? Windows XP, Win 2000? Let the new owner figure out his own OS situation.

How much are you selling this for?

derekullo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
From some google'ing it appears the laptop has, 1.6-GHz Intel Atom N270 processor, 1GB of memory.

The only operating systems with a chance of running are Windows XP or lower, or Linux.

With linux it would be perfect for some one to check email on the couch.

If you are comfortable installing linux yourself, you may be able to charge a little bit more.

I would say something like $50 without linux with a blank hard drive or $75 with linux.

The above pricing may even be on the high side.

The computers you are selling against would probably be "Chromebooks" which BestBuy has starting at $140.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop Tech Support 4
H Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 4
D Laptop Tech Support 2
G Laptop Tech Support 4
P Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 4
A Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 3