Europe Testing 12.5 Gbps Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I'm pretty sure this will be limited to fixed line of sight wireless installations that are VERY well aligned, at least for the near term.

There is a reason that 900mhz cordless phones reach further than 2400mhz phones or even 5800mhz phones, and the same as to why most cell phone bands are around the 800s. Longer waves penetrate better.

I've seen 2.4ghz, 20mbps backhauls go 25 miles on a 6 foot dish, but I've seen a 20ghz, 100mbps barely make it 6 miles (and break up in badly in moderate rain).

I would wonder if 325,000mhz could even get through one wall in most houses without causing so many bounces its unusable; at least at power levels safe for humans. Regardless of the form though, it is good to see progress in that end of the spectrum.

Mike00

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
That is awesome but what is the point of having wireless from 1 to 10 milimeters. In order to reach from one end of a room to another you need lots of repeaters. I think they should consider other ways of developing higher speeds on 2.4GHz or less that way at least the distance makes it very usable. The higer the GHz the shorter the range, especially indoors.

gogogojason

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Re:mike00... wavelengths are like waves on a pond. 1 foot waves are slower but can go though larger obsticles, and 1 mm waves have much more fast but are distored easier.. a 1 foot wave is so big when it is reflected it isnt easily distored.

G

The guy who wrote this article is clueless about internet speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.