Even in a Recession People Must Have HDTVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Lounging around watching the tube will actually pay for itself over time.

I paid around 1200 for our 42" Samsung.

Going to the movies with my Girlfriend + 1 Soda + 1 Popcorn ends up being around $900 dollars anyway.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
How else is people going to watch Barack Obama on TV?[citation][nom]MustWarnOthers[/nom]Going to the movies with my Girlfriend + 1 Soda + 1 Popcorn ends up being around $900 dollars anyway.[/citation]Tru dat!

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I don't know about a necessity but it sure is nice. I'm still glad that I didn't have to buy one. I found a broken TV that is an older model of this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3757031 and I got it working by buying a $40 part and replacing it... lol

Though HDTVs do cost A LOT less than they used to. It is actually hard to find a TV that isn't HDTV nowadays I think unless you're going for a used TV. I remember being able to buy a 19" CRT for like $50-100. A TV of the same size is now $150+, but it's HDTV...

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Perhaps people think they need to get an HDTV to weather the coming DTV transition!

I bought my HDTV (last year) without that in mind, but it's good to know I don't need a converter box. Just, apparently, a stronger antenna to pick up some of the new stations and their weak signals...

G

1000 bucks for 42"??

We bought a 46" 1080P Spectre HD LCD TV in November last year for $699.

$1000 for 42" sounds like a ripoff to me.

And don't give me that Samsung is better than Spectre crap. In the end the quality is close enough to justify the mark down.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'd happily sell my HD LCD if it was mine. :)
I'd sell it and buy a better monitor, or a third one for a tri-display.

I don't care about inches, I care about pixel count. :)

We have to get our priorities straight here.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
from aserious perspective, you avhe to consider the fact that technology will progress DESPITE any economic situations.eventually all tv signlas will be HD only many peopelare aware of this fact hince they are willing to buy a new tv now instead of waiting for thier oldtv';s topbecome useless. in this regard hdtvs are becoming like comptuer tech to the gamer crowd .. you would rather update SOONER than later. I actually think this is good for the recession as long as soemthign is sellign money is moving and that is what keeps the economy for a compelte colapse. what i find odd .. is how badly teh food industry as a whole is suffering .. you';d think food industries would enver suffer after all food is a demand item for life .

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]crisisavatar[/nom]considering that for nearly 1000 bucks you can get something in the 42" neighborhood i think is an excellent time to buy.[/citation]

are you freaking kidding me .. wal mart and target both have 42' lcd's (at 720p) that are 630 US dollars this is WELL under 1000 bucks, and some times they put these on deals that bring it down to 550. for about 700-800 you can get a 42 that does full 1080p

personally i'll aim for the 630 at 720p whileteh diferece from standard def to 720 p is drastic as hell , the differnce from 720 to 1080 does equal 150+ more dollars to me so i'llgo for teh sweet spot 42 at 720

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]redbluequad[/nom]1000 bucks for 42"??We bought a 46" 1080P Spectre HD LCD TV in November last year for $699.$1000 for 42" sounds like a ripoff to me.And don't give me that Samsung is better than Spectre crap. In the end the quality is close enough to justify the mark down.[/citation]
Are you happy with that Sceptre? I bought it when it was $799, I ended up returning it because of a dead pixel and because an "all black" screen was more like a bright grey. I ended up getting a 42" LG Scarlett 120Hz for $1099 and the picture is easily twice as good as the Sceptre I returned.

redbluequad

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
The Sceptre is fine for our needs. Movies look good enough. There are no dead pixels. Plus we got an extended 4 year warranty so we can return it if this happens. Even with the warranty it came to $1000 for a 46" 1080P.

Saying the picture quality is twice as good has no meaning because its not an absolute value. $200 is 2x as good as $100 but one 42" 1080p model can't be 2x as good as another 46" 1080p model.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I wonder how much of the surge in HDTV sales is partly cause its advertised every 5 seconds that people need a digital TV or they can't watch anything after the switchover to digital broadcasting. Just think of all those non-tech savy people thinking they have to buy a new TV cause they don't know any better and are interpreting the commercials wrong. Plus people are starting to see their friends getting HDTV's and realizing how much better 720p/1080i is to analog 480i in clarity. And what does America love more than TV? Not much seemingly....

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
The fact that a lot of people go out and drop $500-1000+ on a TV when they have no money should be no surprise to anybody who's been watching the news at any time in the last year. A lot of people have their priorities seriously screwed up as they are gladly paying hundreds of dollars per month for cable/satellite TV service and other entertainment but default on their mortgage, and don't pay their utility or medical bills. The real travesty is that those irresponsible individuals want the rest of us that DO manage our money correctly (often by forgoing a lot of non-critical expenditures, like buying an HDTV) to "bail them out" with our money in one manner or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.