Everyone but me can access the internet in a room

Minanime

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
So the wifi where I live isn't great, but it works well enough. The room everyone sits in to do homework has the crappiest internet, but everyone can at least connect and get stuff done. For some reason my laptop refuses to work in that room though. Is it possible for different laptops to connect to the internet better? Can I fix my laptop to do the same?

Solution
Hmm, you got me on this one then. I cannot see a reason for it to work for you in all rooms except that one, unless there is a flaw or limitation in your laptops WiFi. If you can, I would try testing it with yours using an external WiFi connection. One that plugs into your laptop via the USB port and see if that will get you connected. I am not saying buy one. :) Just see if there is someone you can borrow one from for testing purposes. If it works for you, in that room, then it is your WiFi card that is limited for some reason. Perhaps not enough signal strength in that one room for yours to work.

If another external card works for you in there, then your only options are to either use WiFi outside there (not in there) or get an...

Minanime

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
It's all the same wifi connection. Everyone in that room can use the wifi, but my laptop refuses to reach that far. It's not even that old of a computer. Only about 2ish years old.

Not quite what I asked. Let me be more clear. :) The WiFi, I get you say anyone in that 'room' is OK using it but you.

What I am asking is if any WiFi 'outside' that room, works for you? And is the WiFi 'outside' that one room coming from the same router/modem as inside that one room?

Hmm, you got me on this one then. I cannot see a reason for it to work for you in all rooms except that one, unless there is a flaw or limitation in your laptops WiFi. If you can, I would try testing it with yours using an external WiFi connection. One that plugs into your laptop via the USB port and see if that will get you connected. I am not saying buy one. :) Just see if there is someone you can borrow one from for testing purposes. If it works for you, in that room, then it is your WiFi card that is limited for some reason. Perhaps not enough signal strength in that one room for yours to work.

If another external card works for you in there, then your only options are to either use WiFi outside there (not in there) or get an external card of your own to allow for working from in there.

Unless there is a way to boost the signal. If you have access to the router/modem. That may help as well.

Solution