Ex-Car Salesman Remotely Disables 100 Cars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]"The car must be connected to the internet for it to run"[/citation]

What are you talking about?

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I'm surprised this has not happened earlier because the people that work at these dealers are crooks literally many of them have records.

G

lol what the hell was he thinking. then again, who thinks before doing anything nowadays?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]Disgruntled idiot.Did he REALLY think that he can't be traced back?And why take the vandalism to customers?Jail time![/citation]

Indeed, wifi hotspot FTW eh?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Sounds like a plot for a Hollywood movie.[/citation]

Haha, that would be fantastic, hopefully they can have the left 4 dead team come up with a cool/yet cheesy slogan for the movie poster :)

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]"The car must be connected to the internet for it to run"[/citation]
If it gets disconnected while you're out shopping, your car will have returned back home

thermalsig

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Yeah, and are the customers aware that they are buying cars with a backdoor lo-jack installed? I would be pretty damn pissed if I found out my vehicle had crap like this installed without my knowledge and consent.[/citation]Companies that "protect" their businesses with questionable practices are more widely spread than you would think. The thing is that it's completely legal because the buyer purchasing the vehicle is completely aware of it. The people buying from places like this have a very poor credit record and are considered high risk and could not get financing elsewhere. The company selling the vehicle retains complete control until you have finished paying double what the car is worth at the incredibly high rip off interest rate. It's called the screwed if you do, screwed if you don't business model.

G

Umm.. this system is used for people who OTHERWISE CAN NOT GET LOANS due to credit issues, and is PART OF THE CONTRACT. Not to mention it is a BLACK BOX sitting on the dashboard and cannot disable a MOVING VEHICLE.

So yeah, the guy should go to jail, but dont lose too many tears about the people with the cars. Without this service they probably would be on a bus.

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]jonathan1683[/nom]What a shitty system that gives employees direct access/logins to disable 100s of customer cars.. What if they were driving on the freeway? I smell a lawsuit.[/citation]

I know a little about that system because I know someone who bought one of those cars and didn't make a couple payments on time. They disable starting the engine, they do not turn off a car that's already running. The seller ACCIDENTLY shut the WRONG car off one time when this person was parked at the gas station...

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]Market Economy[/nom]Umm.. this system is used for people who OTHERWISE CAN NOT GET LOANS due to credit issues, and is PART OF THE CONTRACT. Not to mention it is a BLACK BOX sitting on the dashboard and cannot disable a MOVING VEHICLE.So yeah, the guy should go to jail, but dont lose too many tears about the people with the cars. Without this service they probably would be on a bus.[/citation]

Double? This girl I know just started payments for a car from one of these guys at $5,000. It's a 2002 Pontiac subcompact with 160k miles...worth about $1500 on the open market.

And there are no busses here.

thermalsig

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Double? This girl I know just started payments for a car from one of these guys at $5,000. It's a 2002 Pontiac subcompact with 160k miles...worth about $1500 on the open market.And there are no busses here.[/citation]
As an RV tech, I see people who are suckered into paying tens of thousands more than the vehicle is worth, and they have good credit. I can see where a predatory lender could get away with this. Ultimately, we all become enablers of these "business" men when we make poor credit choices. Ultimately though, I see this technology bleeding over into other sectors of the business. One model that works in one place will become common in another. They have to protect their investments!!! That is what bothers me most about this though, and I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist.

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

It would suck to get disconnected after alot of mechanical work....I would hate to have to get all that done again. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.