Ex-Navy Seabee Shoots iPhone 4 With .50 Cal Rifle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Cool.. however.. the impact looked very small for a 50 cal round.
Not that i have ever seen an iphone getting shot before.. but i have seen the damage of a 50 cal.. and there is usually nothing left when you shoot something small :)

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
the reason the destruction didn't seem very large is because the iphone didn't offer much resistance, so not much energy transferred into it from the bullet.
the reason 50 cals do so much damage to a person or larger ordinance is because they usually offer enough resistance to stop the bullet, so ALL the energy created by a 50 cal's velocity and weight get put into that object, obviously destroying the hell out of it

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]I found nothing interesting from that video. It starts with the phone already shot. What's the point...[/citation]
Play it from the very beginning, it's sitting in pristine condition at the very start before the bullet comes in from the left-hand side (which you see).

I hate to see anything go to waste no matter who makes it, but thumbs up for the awesome high-res slow-motion camera!

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

What reception issues?
15359_iphone_jobs.jpg

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
"the reason the destruction didn't seem very large is because the iphone didn't offer much resistance, so not much energy transferred into it from the bullet.
the reason 50 cals do so much damage to a person or larger ordinance is because they usually offer enough resistance to stop the bullet, so ALL the energy created by a 50 cal's velocity and weight get put into that object, obviously destroying the hell out of it"
True, but a lot of damage also comes from the speed the round is travelling at. The round is creating a "pocket" of air around it that does a lot of damage too. That is why you can mess up a limb pretty bad without a direct hit. If the bullet passes close enough the air will do the damage.

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
awesome vid & idea! i would do the same to all apple gadgets. overpriced craps all. i'm not buying ANYTHING that is related to apple

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]mikeynavy1976[/nom]"the reason the destruction didn't seem very large is because the iphone didn't offer much resistance, so not much energy transferred into it from the bullet.the reason 50 cals do so much damage to a person or larger ordinance is because they usually offer enough resistance to stop the bullet, so ALL the energy created by a 50 cal's velocity and weight get put into that object, obviously destroying the hell out of it"True, but a lot of damage also comes from the speed the round is travelling at. The round is creating a "pocket" of air around it that does a lot of damage too. That is why you can mess up a limb pretty bad without a direct hit. If the bullet passes close enough the air will do the damage.[/citation]
obviously your theory is a bit off, since it was just a phone and didnt EXPLODE from your so callwd "airpocket damage" lol. Leave the gun talk to the soldiers and marines please, navy boy ;)

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]mikeynavy1976[/nom]"the reason the destruction didn't seem very large is because the iphone didn't offer much resistance, so not much energy transferred into it from the bullet.the reason 50 cals do so much damage to a person or larger ordinance is because they usually offer enough resistance to stop the bullet, so ALL the energy created by a 50 cal's velocity and weight get put into that object, obviously destroying the hell out of it"True, but a lot of damage also comes from the speed the round is travelling at. The round is creating a "pocket" of air around it that does a lot of damage too. That is why you can mess up a limb pretty bad without a direct hit. If the bullet passes close enough the air will do the damage.[/citation]

This seems to have been beaten to death on the Telegraph and Gizmodo (and soon to be here): 50cal > Ipod 4g > Air around 50cal. The 'shock wave' theory didn't hold up, the phone was certainly shot by a 50cal bullet and suffered very little damage aside from the unfortunate bit right in the path of the bullet. I suspect this might be more true for a bullet with a squarer nose, like a 50cal A/E round which is very squat despite being just as wide as the 50cal BMG round used in this experiment. If the BMG round really did create a 'wake of destruction' you can bet it wouldn't have the power to be effective at 2000 yards. Just a though.

G

lack of damage was because the bullet was made in the same factory as the iphone.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Yeah! Now get them shooting apple fanboys! I am so dissapointed at a colleague techy in my college by buying the new iphone, requesting a .50 cal shot for him too :)

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I bet the people that had their pre-orders canceled are thrilled to see a phone that could of been theirs blown to pieces by a .50 cal....ROFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.