Expert Says Blaming Games on Massacres is Racist

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Here's an idea, let's blame the person who pulled the trigger. Except for the insane, the decision to kill does ultimately rest with them, unless your saying freewill no longer exists.

ivaroeines

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I do think its racism, the logic is quite simple:
Muslims kill because the culture and their religion is bad and this cause them to become violent. Blacks kill because their genes make them violent. Whites and Christians haven't got bad genes or a violent culture, they only become killers because they get influenced by outside sources like black people, muslims, games, etc etc.

Some facts:
1: Christianity is the most violent religion of them all, christians or people who claim their christians have killed far more people than any other religious group.
2: The white man have caused far more violent acts, deaths and destruction than any other "race" of people.
3: Even with this knowledge we( i am a white man from a christian background ) still claim that we are better than the rest, shame on us.

ivaroeines

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]I forgot one....Cause-AffectI have never played Wow...and I have sex, regularly.[/citation]

I do play WoW... i never have sex.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
So when a white male goes on a shooting spree its because of video games.
Oh I totally agree with this guys give it up its 100% right and here are some clear examples.

Charles Whitman shot up the University of Texas in 1966, clearly video games are to blame.
14 deaths clearly linked to video games. What you need more examples?

Feb. 22, 1978: After being taunted for his beliefs, a 15-year-old self-proclaimed Nazi, kills one student and wounds a second with a Luger-style pistol in Lansing, Mich.

Dec. 30, 1974: In Olean, N.Y., Anthony Barbaro, a 17-year-old Regents scholar armed with a rifle and shotgun, kills three adults and wounds 11 others at his high school, which was closed for the Christmas holiday. Barbaro was reportedly a loner who kept a diary describing several “battle plans” for his attack on the school.

Clearly a white male was incapable of shooting others before these intense violent video games, clearly all the shooters above all traveled through time and played a violent video game to come back to their own time to go on a shooting spree. Rock solid evidence.

grechmarlon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
While i do believe that violent people are attracted to violent games to let their rage loose i honestly cannot see how a game drives you into a murdering psycho.

My brother plays over 8 hours of COD4 a day and he is a docile as a lamb.....i even try poking him with a stick ..but nothing. All games do is make you lazy. And as for weapons training......he cant hold a gun to save his ass let alone kill anything with one, although he is one of those crosshair headshot freaks

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hmmm... lets see... if video games caused young white men to become violent, we would be living in an anarchy in the insert futuristic dystopian movie here sense. Honestly, these shootings are easily blamed on simple idiocy. Some idiot gets it into his head that some people deserve to die, and trains for awhile to do so. Not because of video games, not because he was beaten as a child, and not because he can't control his own actions because the voices in his head told him to do it. Simple idiocy does it. I'm not talking about illiteracy, or lack of knowledge, I'm talking about lack of common sense and decency! For example, I will reveal a bit of myself. I am an amoral, apatheistic computer nerd who would sooner believe in the creations of a 20th century American author than any established deity (which, if you know what apatheism is, then you know my stance) or religion. But I don't go out and kill people! This is because as a somewhat functional member of society, I realize that it's a bad idea to go out and shoot people simply because I disagree with them! These idiots who do so lack a little thing I call common sense! If they had it, if they had even the slightest inkling of it, they'd realize, hmmm... you know... this is a bad idea! It's like someone cut off their basic survival instinct: If one wishes to survive, one follows some basic rules of society. And one of those basic rules is you don't go out and fill lots of teenagers full of lead and blow up government buildings. People are so bloody dumb these days! Violent video games only make it easier for these idiots to train and make excuses to their families, and to the other morons who want to ban the games because of this, I facilitate this argument:

Lets look back at history, folks. Let me take you back to 1920s to 1930s America. During this time, a little thing called prohibition was tried. This gave rise to a few small inconveniences such as organized crime, bootlegging, and speakeasies. In the end, they decided it was a better idea to just let people imbibe a bit of liquor, rather than tell them to go stuff it and try water instead. Banning video games would probably give rise to a very similar situation, except this time, the population is a LOT bigger, and a lot more easily PO'd. Look at hackers like LulzSec... and no one told them they couldn't play video games! They just did it because they wanted to! You know that old saying? "Idle hands are the devil's workshop"? Well, lets draw on some demonology here: video games are like a low level demon who has the habit of making women take off their clothes, but banishing this demon would make room for Baal, Lord of the Flies, along with Legion, Beelzebub, and possibly Lucifer, if he feels like it, to come barreling through on Harleys causing the rest of the world all kinds of nasty problems like plagues, war, and anarchy! No one needs all that... no one at all. So, in conclusion, don't blame video games, don't even blame society... Blame the shooter. Blame him for being bored with his life and not having the sense to find a harmless outlet. He's an idiot. I have no pity for fools.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
[citation][nom]pangedit[/nom]I dont get the connection. Video games are to blame for the shooting? I thought he did all of this because he is anti muslim?[/citation]

No, there not saying that, the killer left a manifesto behind outlining why he did it (mass murder). In the manifesto he stated he used Modern Warfare 2 to train for the attack (which means he was already motivated before using the game, it was just a tool for his existing intent. He also used a cover story of being addicted to WOW to explain his withdrawal from friends and family (again after his intent to do the deed was made and used as a tool to further his agenda).

The psychologist from Texas above was just making the point that some specific groups will take something like this and try to point to games as the to further their own argument even though research has shown differently because it is a high profile and emotionally driving story. It lets them use it to spin their agenda via relation and hype versus fact.

It's a sad world we sometimes find ourselves in, crazy people will kill lots of innocent people to make a statement, and then a another bunch of crazy people will use his actions and assumed reason why he did it to further their agenda. There are just some ugly people out there.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
So, in conclusion, don't blame video games, don't even blame society... Blame the shooter. Blame him for being bored with his life and not having the sense to find a harmless outlet. He's an idiot. I have no pity for fools.

That's the spirit! He claimed to have a "message", but delivered like that, his "message" to the people will be perceived bad, no matter how good it is.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Games dont teach people how to shoot, that pretty stupid for a live situation. Im pretty certain he had some other real training. I really hate how people always look for anything to place blame on games. Their just paranoic, if the real scientists who do research their entire lives on this have already proven that games are nt at fault, people plz dont try to make them waste their good time reproving it for you ego.

G

They may not blame video games for intercity violence but don't act as if nobody gets blames for that. While video games aren't blamed for inner city violence, Hip Hop is blamed for it.

G

I think a better word to use is "Scapegoat", anyway, the blame should be on this depraved piece of human waste. We can't blame anything else, we can't blame the muslim faith or video games. I mean had we found nothing else but McDonalds in his home, and in his manifesto, him, explaining how this Big Mac helped him train to commit this horrific crime, would've you jumped to that conclusion?

computertech82

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Though video games, tv, radio, friends, speakers (speech makers), guy down the street, poverty, etc, etc, can influence actions, it still finally falls to the INDIVIDUAL for their own actions.
We, the people, teach hate and to hate others. That has a great influence on us. Hitler would be a perfect example of using and teaching hate for a race, to change a democratic germany into a republic, then to a dictatorship.
It is amazing how easy people can be manipulated. So many wars....

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]SmileyTPB1[/nom]1500 page manifesto? That make the Unabomber look like an amateur by comparison. It looks like the US no longer has the Crazy Mad Bomber market cornered.[/citation]

Actually the Middle East has had the Crazy Mad Bomber market cornered for quite a few years

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
"Expert Says Blaming Games on Massacres is Racist", shouldn't it be" Expert Says Blaming Massacres on Games is Racist"?

dioxholster

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
the killer has been honest from the beginning he wouldnt lie about how important CoD was to fullfilling his mission. so all your "theories" can go the trash now! its interactive game, just cause it didnt simulate you or affect you doesnt mean it doesnt affect some others. ignorant are you lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.