Experts: Losses Due to Piracy Are Exaggerated

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybernie

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I glad we had "experts" to tell is this information... 'cause there's absolutely no way we ever would have figured that out.

G

There's a HUGE difference between value of pirated material and what the owners of the material actually lost. They tend to assume that everyone who pirated something WOULD actually buy a legal copy if they couldn't pirate it...when it's actually a fairly small fraction who would. Yeah, most got something for free they shouldn't have, but those didn't cause a loss to the owner.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Piracy is a big issue.But does this mean that Game developers will stfu and stop porting console games onto the PC?That's the real question since these guys are the first one who jump on to the "piracy hurts our sales" bandwagon.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Thing is, this works both ways. Yeah, you can't say everyone who pirated it would buy a legal copy if that was the only way, but on the other hand, you can't say how many would, either. So you can't make any real estimate at all.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
All the independent studies I've read point to users who pirate purchase more media overall per year than the average household to the tune of 20% more approximately. Most people I know that still torrent only do so to see if they really like it and then go buy it if they do. Not to mention it is a great way to gain more fans if you're a band and want to boost ticket sales or other merch sales.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Yeap, the masses of geeks have been saying it for years now, nice to see people with more influence are saying it too.
Sure, I'll admit, I do more than my share of file sharing, but then again, I have about 100 xbox/ps3 games, a ton of PC games, a decent movie collection etc.

Give me a good product, and I will(and have) pay for it.
Unfortunately though, DRM is a incentive to pirate. Nothing like using a crack on a game you legally own just to bypass the nuisance DRM...

G

Piracy my a$$. They should make worthy products and they will have sales. Sins of a Solar Empire had no copy-protection / DRM and was top seller.
If the products su*k of course people will download them instead of wasting $ on nothing.

uso_bc

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Musi Industry shoud give song for free, and make revenues from live music. I think it's OK, to charge Radiostations and TV because they sell AD's, and so otjher media, webs and so.
But the end User should not pay twice, you can record music from everywhere why not from P2P.
If I like it, I'll buy de CD, and DVD with hi qualiti COncert and videoclips for a fair price, and pay whaterer they demand for a concert.

Regarding videogames, they should bé less expensive. I'll buy many, change 2nd hand console ones, but in PC I can't echange Old Ones. I Pirate some, and if I like them I'll buy them so I can Play them on-line, but most of FPS for example, offer only 8 to 20 hours solo game, they should give it for free o fot $10 and if I like I'll pay the rest.

I popose something like STEAM-WOW mixture, STEAN with monthly fee, but then I could play anything in STEAM. (Use steam as a well known example, there are others) ans some kind of extra or limit for new games could bé fair to0.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Thing is, this works both ways. Yeah, you can't say everyone who pirated it would buy a legal copy if that was the only way, but on the other hand, you can't say how many would, either. So you can't make any real estimate at all.[/citation]

what i wonder is why the hell some a-s hatwoudlgive you a thumbs down for what is a perfectly reasonableand logical statment.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Millions? They always claim billions!

Also, very obvious. They have a lot at stake, of course they'll exaggerate, but I hope this will show the US government some sense.

williehmmm

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]
You have any idea how ridiculous this all sounds??? "They should give this free, give that free, free ". seriously dude, why don’t you try working for free, for a month and then tell me if you still have this same opinion etc...[/citation]

The truth is, everything is free if you don't want to pay for it.

Music, films, games, books, pay TV (if you don't mind not watching live). Most people who download this 'free' stuff don't want the artistic people to starve, usually they are the most enthusiastic supporters of those artists, they will go to the gigs, go to the midnight showing of the sequel at the theatres on launch day, they will buy the merchandise. But they have been ripped off time and time again, people have been charged 5 times for the same classic album, vinyl, cassette, CD, mini disc, MP3. 4 times for movies, in the theatre, VHS, DVD, Bluray.

The distribution model via bit torrent is the fastest and cheapest method to distribute media but as the media publishers have failed to get a handle on how to make money from it, the publishers have become non profit making, file sharers.

I advocate an internet tax, Internet Service Providers forced to charge a £5/$7 flat fee for all internet access, the music game & film studios releasing their own content in a free high quality non DRM format, with a tracking method so that the percentage of return from this online tax is paid to the artists and creative folk based on its distribution. No media costs, no promotional costs, no distribution costs, the internet hype, the message boards/social networking sites become the advertisers.

This is how it's being done now. The content is free and the market refuses to accept DRM and some smart people remove it and that is the content that is being distributed. The sooner the artistic creators, publishers & ISPs realise the old business model has gone and digital distribution is the present and the future. They need to come up with a flat rate fee to earn a wage and open up the distribution of their product to everyone online, the sooner this is done then we can all live in happiness and peace. This may sound like fuzzy wuzzy communism, but it's better than the anarchy and totalitarian multinationals who want to lock up kids for listening to music we have now.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Nothing new here and it's no less a flawed argument now than it was then.

There's no way to know how many people would actually go out and buy the stuff if they didn't steal it. Any argument in any direction is just guessing.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Get ready for the next related news installment when the RIAA, MPAA, and other such organizations release their statements backing up their claims as well as their new claim that they will produce the evidence to clearly show the millions upon millions of dollars lost due to piracy. Who knows maybe we will actually get a showdown between these experts and the RIAA and the MPAA; instead of the average Joe vs. RIAA and MPAA. Could be interesting. Betting will commence soon as the fight date is finialized:)

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]williehmmm[/nom]The truth is, everything is free if you don't want to pay for it.Music, films, games, books, pay TV (if you don't mind not watching live). Most people who download this 'free' stuff don't want the artistic people to starve, usually they are the most enthusiastic supporters of those artists, they will go to the gigs, go to the midnight showing of the sequel at the theatres on launch day, they will buy the merchandise. But they have been ripped off time and time again, people have been charged 5 times for the same classic album, vinyl, cassette, CD, mini disc, MP3. 4 times for movies, in the theatre, VHS, DVD, Bluray. The distribution model via bit torrent is the fastest and cheapest method to distribute media but as the media publishers have failed to get a handle on how to make money from it, the publishers have become non profit making, file sharers.I advocate an internet tax, Internet Service Providers forced to charge a £5/$7 flat fee for all internet access, the music game & film studios releasing their own content in a free high quality non DRM format, with a tracking method so that the percentage of return from this online tax is paid to the artists and creative folk based on its distribution. No media costs, no promotional costs, no distribution costs, the internet hype, the message boards/social networking sites become the advertisers.This is how it's being done now. The content is free and the market refuses to accept DRM and some smart people remove it and that is the content that is being distributed. The sooner the artistic creators, publishers & ISPs realise the old business model has gone and digital distribution is the present and the future. They need to come up with a flat rate fee to earn a wage and open up the distribution of their product to everyone online, the sooner this is done then we can all live in happiness and peace. This may sound like fuzzy wuzzy communism, but it's better than the anarchy and totalitarian multinationals who want to lock up kids for listening to music we have now.[/citation]
Great, then there is even LESS incentive to produce anything decent. After all, they are getting paid either way from taxes, right?

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I doubt anything will come of this in regards to illegal downloading, as this seems to be more about folks making copies and selling them for profit. ie. RIAA/MPAA vs China(mostly), not RIAA/MPAA vs Internet. RIAA/MPAA have many scapegoats, but I think they have a right to be pissed when somebody else is actually making money off of their IP. Most internet users just download for themselves and share/seed back and make no money off of it. Kind of like growing weed for personal use in many places is decriminalized or even legal, but large scale growing/distribution is a no-no. I guess I went a bit off topic there, but it's the same idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.