Question 'Extend display' but no 'duplicate display' Techwood LCD TV to laptop

dublin123

Estimable
Jun 17, 2019
Hi all. I have a Techwood LCD tv connected to my laptop. As the tv has no HDMI and the laptop has no VGA, I am using a VGA cable with a VGA to HDMI adaptor. A somewhat inelegant solution, but it works - to an extent. The 'extend display' option works ok but when I switch to 'duplicate display' I get the 'input signal out of range' message on the tv. Has anyone any suggestions? Tried the cable on another tv and it was fine.

The video resolution of your laptop display is not compatible with the video resolution of the TV. When you use the extended display the laptop sends compatible video to the TV.
You can change the resolution of the laptop display to be compatible with the TV but it might not look good on the laptop.

dublin123

Estimable
Jun 17, 2019
Thanks. I have tried various resolutions, none seem to work on the duplicated screen option. It is not really a big deal, just annoying. I wonder if it could be the frequency, but then if the signal the laptop was sending was outside the frequency range of the tv I assume the extended display wouldn't work either?

Last edited:

dublin123

Estimable
Jun 17, 2019
Ok thanks. Native resolution of the laptop is 1366×768 pixels and no, unfortunately that is outside the range of modes the tv supports as per the tv manual (maximum of 1024 X 768). Edit: ok so the solution is to change the native resolution to 1024 X 768. Obviously this narrows the laptop display but it works. Many thanks all.

Last edited:

dublin123

Estimable
Jun 17, 2019
By way of an update/postscript, on my laptop there is an Intel Graphics settings menu accessible by right clicking on an open space on the desktop and selecting the "Intel Graphics Settings" option in the list that pops up. I find that the TV will accept the standard laptop settings without displaying the annoying "input signal out of range message". It also allows the option of tailor-made settings which for my TV are 1024 X 768 resolution and 60 Hz frequency. The standard keeps defaulting to a 59 Hz frequency which does not suit my TV.