External DAC/Amp for Logitech Z623

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stag1928

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hi all,

Curious if an external DAC/Amp would be beneficial for the logitech speakers I have. I run them from my PC which has a realtek ALC 892 and I think they do sound pretty good already, but perhaps they can sound better? I was looking at the Audioengine D1 or the SMSL Sanskrit 6 but not totally sure if it'd make a difference for the speakers. I also subscribe to Google Music so I think everything streams at 320kbps.

D

Deleted member 217926

Once again all a soundcard can add is a headphone amp and a DAC. Well and support for 5.1 and 7.1 surround but your board may do that as well. If you were running decent headphones I'd recommend a card or a separate amp/DAC in a second. Or if you had a slightly higher end speaker setup like a pair of JBL LSR305s I'd recommend a higher end DAC but with Logitech Z623s it's really not going to be something noticeable.

Not that they're bad for what they are. But they aren't 'audiophile' or reference speakers. I still have a pair of Z2300s from close to 15 years ago and they sound pretty good. The first THX certified 2.1 setup from Logitech. I use headphones on my desktop 99.9% of the time though.

D

Deleted member 217926

No you're not going to gain anything. Those speakers are powered so they have an onboard amp. The D1 is mostly for headphones ( amp/DAC ) and the SMSL Sanskrit is just a standalone DAC. Is the DAC in the SMSL better than your onboard? Probably. Would you notice with Logitech computer speakers? Probably not.

Stag1928

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

That's a fair assessment. Would a sound card do any better than the onboard, or would these speakers not benefit?

D

Deleted member 217926

Once again all a soundcard can add is a headphone amp and a DAC. Well and support for 5.1 and 7.1 surround but your board may do that as well. If you were running decent headphones I'd recommend a card or a separate amp/DAC in a second. Or if you had a slightly higher end speaker setup like a pair of JBL LSR305s I'd recommend a higher end DAC but with Logitech Z623s it's really not going to be something noticeable.

Not that they're bad for what they are. But they aren't 'audiophile' or reference speakers. I still have a pair of Z2300s from close to 15 years ago and they sound pretty good. The first THX certified 2.1 setup from Logitech. I use headphones on my desktop 99.9% of the time though.

thephenom696

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
BEHRINGER UCA-202 will do for these. Has RCA output aswell, and with clean cables, you'll have better quality (Personal experience here compared to a thin 3,5mm wire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ckaiser15 Audio 2
P Audio 1
Toshka_31 Audio 1
T Audio 1
S Audio 1
S Audio 5
Luckykor Audio 0
Runiczeal Audio 3
L Audio 1