External DVD player crash

Feb 20, 2018
So this problem only ever occurres on my laptop, which I find strange, but at some point something went wrong and every time I want to watch a DVD the programs crash after a few minutes. I noticed that sometimes it happens exactly on the change of a chapter, but it can happen any other time too, usually at least 2 minutes of watch time.

I’ve looked into the problem a lot and here is what I have concluded:
Only occurres on my laptop, not main gaming PC.
It only occurres with the external DVD, I can watch any other files from anywhere including flash drives.
No those files do not have the ‘chapters’ in them (could be why)

My laptop is a Dell XPS 13 (I think)
CPU: Intel Core i5 4400U with integrated graphics
RAM: 4GB ddr3
It’s a few years old and worked fine until I got my new PC
(In case you want to know:
CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x
GPU: RX 580 4GB
RAM: 8GB ddr4

If you’re wandering, I have looked around the graphics settings, and they look fine to me. I have checked the settings of the players I’ve tried; MPC-HC, and windows media (doesn’t play DVDs apparently) and Films and TV app. I’ll need to double check if it works with that, but I don’t see it working.

It would be really useful if someone could help with this, because I even went as far as checking if it’s something to do with the USB hub controllers switching it off, and having turned the setting to turn off to save power still didn’t work.

If anyone has suggestions, or knows what settings everything should be at for it to work, I thank you in advance.

Solution
I would try another program and see if you get the same problem. It may well be the program itself. Me, I use VLC Media player. It allows for playing DVDs.

Should you not want to try a different program, then I would see if there are needed driver updates, or even try uninstalling the program you are using (if you installed it yourself), restart the laptop and then reinstall the program.
I would try another program and see if you get the same problem. It may well be the program itself. Me, I use VLC Media player. It allows for playing DVDs.

Should you not want to try a different program, then I would see if there are needed driver updates, or even try uninstalling the program you are using (if you installed it yourself), restart the laptop and then reinstall the program.

Solution