External GPU question

Digixfr34k

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
I have a Lenovo G505, I use it at home, and I never really bring it with me to places, even though it wouldn't be hard to me to convert it back, I just want to make it a little more Viable for games, and doing research, the Mini PCIE slot that the Wireless adapter takes up, is the same bandwidth as a PCIE x1 slot on a standard PC motherboard, I personally use my Desktop computer for gaming, but my Girlfriend uses the laptop, for less Intense gaming, but it has its flaws, once its runs a A6 2.0ghz quad core APU, 16gbs of ram (512 being shared with video memory, and a Samsung EVO SSD.

Once and awhile it will over heat and shut down, and she has to wait for it to cool down before turning it back on, other wise it will take about and hour before it will decide to boot up, before the APU decided its cooled down enough to load windows again. so i decided to find a solution, i found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221160508053?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true, I have seen those PCIE mini to PCIE x16 adapters, but when you think about it, it Mini PCIE doesn't have any more bandwidth than a PCIE x1 slot, making the that 16x slot not being used to its full potential, and using your graphics card, well isn't going to be as good as if its sitting in a TRUE PCIE x16 slot.

I'm upgrading my graphics card next month, from a 550 TI, so ill have a Spare graphics card that will be just collecting dust, so why not put it in use?, My 550 TI requires a 6 Pin, min 100 wats, to be powered, does that mean it doesn't require power from the PCIE Slot? sorry Im not sure how that works. but in theory i would only need this to power my graphics card right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/301981187294?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

if this wont work, please tell me, I don't wanna mess up my old Card or the laptop, just wanna take the Load off the crappy APU that over heats thanks. :)

Solution

maxalge

Honorable
Herald
May 31, 2012

get a laptop station with built in cooling

Digixfr34k

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
Really? that doesn't really answer my question.......i suppose i forgot to mention the fact the this laptop isn't used in the LAP per say, its hooked up to a TV, with wireless keyboard and mouse, it has a 140mm laptop fan that runs at 1200 rpm, as well as a desk fan and a small window fan, blowing on 3 sides of it, bottom CD rom drive side and Front of where the lid opens side, i could point one directly at the vent, but that would cause the internal fan to fight harder, and wouldn't be logical, still over heats sorry bud thanks for trying though.

maxalge

Honorable
Herald
May 31, 2012

the answer is no

when a card needs additional pcie cables it means the power it gets from the pcie slot alone is not enough

also you got bigger problems if you have it setup like that and it still overheats
maybe fix those issues before going off on a holy grail quest

Digixfr34k

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
wow really? you didn't really read what i asked did you?, I WANTED to know if this would work as long as i had EXTERNAL power going to the CARD, meaning the CARD would be powered not by the PCIE slot its self but by a POWER supply!
this laptop runs a 2.0ghz quad core a6 apu, (not really meant for heavy work loads) it also has 16GBs of DDR3 RAM, which 512 of that is being shared with the APU for graphics, as well as a SSD with pretty much a FRESH install of everything, VIRUS/TROJAN/MALWARE/ADWARE FREE, only game it runs is sims 3, for my girlfriend, because it something she enjoys. the BIG problem as you put it, is that the APU doesn't cut it. so me who likes tinkering with electronics, well wanted to know if it would work!. maybe not that particular power supply in the link, but something with a 6pin, (even a old power supply, its nothing that cant be shoved in a small ITX box, to look presentable),all im trying to do is take the heat off the APU, thats over heating under load, and put that load on something that can actually handle it. but if i knew it was going to be a pain in the ass to clarify this being possible, be more worth it to me to just do it.

A video card with an external adapter still will draw power from the PCIe slot, but that does not matter at all since the external video card adapters all account for that and have a power adapter on the side of them. You did not quite understand the reply.

Since you have the card and a power supply, the actuall PCIe adapter is pretty cheap, get one and see if it works, if you don't mind having a video card cable sticking out of the laptop and the video card and an external power supply sitting next to it.

Solution