Solved! External hard drive for gaming

Dec 12, 2018
Hi, I use a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 gaming laptop and the hard drive is full. I want to buy an external hard drive to play my games from. I have no clue when it comes to computers, I just like playing games!
I mostly play wow and sometimes minecraft.
I'd like the external hard drive to be large enough to keep all my games up to date.
I don't want the game play to be affected (slowing down/ lagging etc)

My budget would preferably be below £60 but i can push up to £100 if needed.

Solution
You can play your game on any external hard drive and didn't get any performance loss in-game. however you'll get higher loading time because the USB limited bandwidth.

You can also move your steam library to your external drive (if you play games on steam) but I don't recommend you to play on external drive, many people use external drive only for storing their game. you'll need minimum 1TB to store some AAA games.

In case you'll need some external drive, i have some suggestion for you :

WD 4TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0

WD 4TB Black My Passport Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0
If you want a ssd:
Samsung 500 GB 860 EVO M.2 Sata III Solid State Drive (you'll need additional...
It's never a good idea to install games on an external drive, or any program in general unless there is just absolutely no other way. I would do one of two things, the best would be to get a larger drive, clone your existing drive to that one. Second best would be to replace the optical drive or if one is not there to use the bay and get a drive adapter like this https://www.amazon.com/DY-tech-Drive-Caddy-Inspiron-15-5000/dp/B01GJOKURS then install the second drive into that.

mahardikahandoko

Prominent
Apr 22, 2018
You can play your game on any external hard drive and didn't get any performance loss in-game. however you'll get higher loading time because the USB limited bandwidth.

You can also move your steam library to your external drive (if you play games on steam) but I don't recommend you to play on external drive, many people use external drive only for storing their game. you'll need minimum 1TB to store some AAA games.

In case you'll need some external drive, i have some suggestion for you :

WD 4TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0

WD 4TB Black My Passport Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0
If you want a ssd:
Samsung 500 GB 860 EVO M.2 Sata III Solid State Drive (you'll need additional case) you can't get higher performance with external ssd but you still get many benefit of the ssd.

Above is the largest you can get, if you want save your money you can get smaller version

Hope this will answer your question :)

Solution