External laptop soundcard

Dshah27

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Do I need a soundcard for my laptop of it only has one audio jack and I wish to buy a 2.1 sound system. If so then which soundcard would you recommend?

Also, would you recommend any 2.1 speakers for about £50-70? My priority is bass, so a bass control would be nice

Thanx!

Solution
in that case it sounds like you have a normal 3.5mm headphone jack not a combined jack on the laptop. you should have no trouble. that one jack carries both left and right audio signals.

any 2.1 pc speakers will connect right up with a single 3.5mm plug.

some other types of 2.1/2.0 speakers which use rca red+white may need a 3.5mm to rca adapter.
not necessarily. if your laptop uses a combined mic/headphone jack you could always use the adapter cable. sometimes called by headset to headphone adapter it is basically a 4pole 3.5mm to 2x 3pole 3.5mm adapter which breaks mic apart from headphone audio.

Dshah27

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

The laptop already has a sperate microphone port.. will the speakers need 2 3.5mm ports out just 1?

in that case it sounds like you have a normal 3.5mm headphone jack not a combined jack on the laptop. you should have no trouble. that one jack carries both left and right audio signals.

any 2.1 pc speakers will connect right up with a single 3.5mm plug.

some other types of 2.1/2.0 speakers which use rca red+white may need a 3.5mm to rca adapter.

Solution