External microphone does not work? ASUS K56c laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rook37

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
I have an Asus k56c laptop, I'm trying to plug a microphone into it to make some recordings... but the computer will only use the internal microphone. It has one jack on the front right panel, with headset and microphone icons right next to it.

It works when I plug in headphones or speakers, but not for a microphone. When I plug in a microphone, it sees it as speakers as well (mutes laptop speakers in favour of trying to output audio through the microphone). I have Realtek HD Audio manager, there's no "Advanced settings" option. I've been trying to solve this and I'm kind of confused as to how to get my laptop to recognize my microphone as a microphone.

Also, no additional devices show up under either Playback or Recording in the Windows sound manager, so disabling the default devices there didn't work. The microphone works on other computers as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! The laptop mic isn't very good and I'd really like to be able to use my own!

Simon_57

Commendable
May 10, 2016
Hi I had the same problem.

On Skype, people didn't hear me. On the windows recorder my headset worked. What worked for me was to disable all enhancements. You right-click on the sound icon in your tray -> Recording devices -> right-click on your device -> properties -> enhancements tab -> disable all sound effects

Hope that helps. Reinstalling all drivers didn't do it for me.