Question External speakers and internal mic

Aug 25, 2023
Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask just incase I'm missing something. I have a HP Victus and I have an external speaker system connected through the 3.5mm jack as the laptop speakers aren't very good, now when I have the laptops microphone turned on and being used and there's any audio being played the speakers have this awful sound coming through them, this also happens with wired earphones, I would like to be able to use the external speakers that I have and have the ability to use the laptops microphone, should this be possible or is it not? I will attempt a return/exchange with my retailer if it isn't functioning properly. Thanks for any help.

I also have a video of an example of what's happening, in the video as soon as the game requests the microphone the audio goes awful until I disable the microphone and then disable/re-enable the speakers to bring the audio back. Let me know if I'm allowed to link it.

Aug 25, 2023
Are you saying this only happens when you are using the external speakers?
Hi. Yes that's right, I forgot to update this post as I have found a work around using a USBC to 3.5mm connector in the laptops USBC slot, I think the issue was the 3.5mm slot in the laptop being a combo jack, it must have thought my external speakers had a microphone, I couldn't see a way to force it to use the laptops internal microphone. Now with the USBC connector my external speakers work great and I can use my laptop microphone with no issue.