Extracting analog audio from TV without AV-Out

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
My TV doesn't have AV Out but does have an HDMI-ARC port. For watching cable TV programs, I connect the audio out from the set-top box to an external powered analog speaker system, but I can't do that with videos played from a thumb drive or network input.

If I buy an HDMI-to-AV converter and connect it as shown in the image, will it work? To put it another way, does the ARC output send out whatever audio signal comes in through the other inputs, even when the HDMI-ARC port is not selected as the input?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e430k5zeh9tw59l/HDMI-analog.png?dl=0

HDMI-ARC does do that. You would need an HDMI-ARC audio extractor not an HDMI to AV converter.
A DAC as suggested by SkyNetRising would work just as well and wouldn't take up an HDMI input.
These are fixed audio outputs so you would need to use the volume control in the powered speakers.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Thanks for the replies. As to having to use the speakers' volume control because the ARC output is a line output, I rather expected that. And it's a bit of a bummer because my current speakers don't have a remote control.

The TV is a 55-inch Xiaomi smart TV model No. L55M5-AI. It has an S/PDIF port but I think the volume control issue would be the same.