Extremely Slow WiFi

brettscharff

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
Hello all,

I have a brand new acer aspire V5 552p. Its a decent laptop but the wifi in it is terribly slow. I am an avid computers enthusiast and I know my way around them quite well. However, I just can't fix this issue. It has full connection bars, and is getting 150 mbps from my N router but when I go to speedtest websites I am only getting 1 meg max down and like 4 up. My other computers get about 80 mbps down on speedtest sites because I have 100 Meg internet from comcast. Do you all think this may just be a dying wifi adapter? I am debating buying one online and just swapping it out.

Thanks for your input. Brett.

Paul NZ

Admirable
Whats the laptop wireless and router speed??

Sounds like one, or both of them are N150. Or the wireless on the laptop is N150, and the router, is either N150, N300, or N600

If the laptop is N150, and the modem is N300 or 600, the router wont go any higher than N150. It'll "step down" to the wireless's speed on the laptop. Thats the bottleneck.

If the router is N300 or N600 you need to change the wireless for the laptop if it's only N150 to N300 or N600

brettscharff

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014

Hey Paul, thanks for your reply. The laptop is getting around 150, which is what the router should deliver. It has great signal strength too, however, the actualized speeds on the laptop are slow. Like it renders pages and downloads things terrible slow. Like 30 seconds to render a page and the speeds its getting on speedtests are atrocious.

Paul NZ

Admirable
k and what browser do you use?? If its firefox install adblock on it. The slowness is probably from all the ads on sites

May also be adware / spyware.

What does the router support up to tho ?? N150 or higher?

brettscharff

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014

I'm using Chrome and it's a fresh install. I wiped it assuming it was software related. However, the speeds are still just as slow so I am now assuming its hardware related. Do you think a new adapter would fix the slowness? or could it be something wrong with the motherboard or something?

Paul NZ

Admirable
Well I wouldn't trust chrome its full of bugs and its like a malware magnet

So, what do the adapter and router go up to / support? N150? 300? 600?

If both are N150 and you replace the adapter to N300 or N600, you would have to replace the router as well.