Facebook Bans Google+ Advertisement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Facebook doesn't need to replicate it -- this feature already exists! When updating your status there's a little drop down next to the post button. Clicking on it brings up a list of your groups (if you have any) and a 'customize' option that lets you post to one, two, any number of specific people, even if they're not assigned to groups. No one else but the selected groups/people will see that status update/link/photo/whatever. This can also be done for photo albums, tagged photos... Sadly, Facebook introduced groups and the ability to post to selected individuals years after the site launched. The fact that these were introduced way after people joined and as optional 'if you want!' features means FB users just ignore them (for the most part). Facebook didn't force them to organise all of their friends into different groups, nor does Facebook insist on the user specifying who they want to see each post before it can be posted.[/citation]

This is how you do it in google+ you type message, hit enter, and select who you want to hear the message.

Another bonus is that its easier to organize your contacts into groups in Google+ then it is in Facebook. You have a list of potential contacts up top, and a list of groups that you want them to belong to... its drag and drop.

So in the end, yes the feature is in Facebook, but its easier to access, and more likely to be used on Google+.

Asking for who you want the message to be posted after you hit enter is a really nice feature, gives you that last second to realize who will see the message, and who you actually want to receive the message.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Khimera2000[/nom]This is how you do it in google+ you type message, hit enter, and select who you want to hear the message. Another bonus is that its easier to organize your contacts into groups in Google+ then it is in Facebook. You have a list of potential contacts up top, and a list of groups that you want them to belong to... its drag and drop. So in the end, yes the feature is in Facebook, but its easier to access, and more likely to be used on Google+.Asking for who you want the message to be posted after you hit enter is a really nice feature, gives you that last second to realize who will see the message, and who you actually want to receive the message.[/citation]

So basically, exactly what I said. :p

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
So?

With movie theaters, they don't want you to bring food in (why not eat before going to a movie so people can hear your chomping on food, rather than watch the movie) - when they can sell you 50 cents worth of popcorn for $12.

Bring in a KFC bag of food into McDonalds or Wendys into Taco Bell, same thing - they will ask you to leave.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]tomrippity02[/nom]It is different. The privacy issues are not the same and the way you interact with others is been revolutionized in my opinion. Not to mention, IMHO, Google as a company is much easier to get behind than facebook and zuckerberg. Mostly, the ability to seperate people into circles and decide what people see is awesome. Could easily be replicated by facebook I assume, but for now, Google is doing better than Facebook in the social arena, as far as software goes anyway.[/citation]

How does that relate to seizure of data - for whatever purpose - under the Patriot Act?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]So?With movie theaters, they don't want you to bring food in (why not eat before going to a movie so people can hear your chomping on food, rather than watch the movie) - when they can sell you 50 cents worth of popcorn for $12.Bring in a KFC bag of food into McDonalds or Wendys into Taco Bell, same thing - they will ask you to leave.[/citation]

Yes, but movie theatres also don't offer you the opportunity to bring your own food for a cost and then tell you what you can and can't eat...

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]when i read about how to get an invite, it seams i need to know someone with a google+ already, something i don't have.[/citation]
All you need to do is send them a message or post your e-mail on their board and either they or someone else will send you an invite. A lot of people are already signed up to Google+. Some reports have said they are already somewhere between 15-20 million users. I also heard they are getting ready to go public at the end of this month.

Anyway, I just sent you an invite, make sure you send invites to all your friends and let it spread!

Again if anyone wants to join Google+ you can get an invite from this link right here, (you'll need to log in to your Facebook account obviously)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tomrippity02[/nom]Google as a company is much easier to get behind than facebook and zuckerberg[/citation]
Sounds like you have a issue with the size of his nose rather than which company is best, this is still the same Google that has basically comitted every data harvesting crime that there is a law against.

With FB you have to put the information in yourself, Google just drives past your house with a streetview car and steals your SSID and email passwords.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lyrick[/nom]Yes it is different, instead of orkut (which was a facebook clone) it's a hub to all your other google services including Picasa, Talk, Latitude, Places, Documents, etc. Unlike the Facebook a person doesn't spend years adjusting their security settings to limit what is shared with who and vice versa. Instead one only shares what they want with who they want when they post it. Currently people don't annoy everyone in the world with what browser based game they're wasting your time with, or whatever app or advertisement they accidently? clicked on. They Post, chat or group chat with the individuals and only the individuals they want to, and leave all the other annoying stuff back on that other web site.[/citation]
Those annoying apps will appear on Google eventually too, the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]So?With movie theaters, they don't want you to bring food in (why not eat before going to a movie so people can hear your chomping on food, rather than watch the movie) - when they can sell you 50 cents worth of popcorn for $12.Bring in a KFC bag of food into McDonalds or Wendys into Taco Bell, same thing - they will ask you to leave.[/citation]
Sure, in fascist America, back in the UK I have been chomping down on a Super Size quarter pounder meal with an extra large shake at the cinema for years.
The cinema may say it is policy but it takes a special kind of anal-retard to enforce it, especially if you are built like a brick sh#t house and they are some scrawny minimum wage teenage ticket drone.
I'm off the Deathly Hallows part 2 at weekend, I think i'll have the Big Mac meal this time.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]So basically, exactly what I said.[/citation]

nope. when you hit enter in google it brings up who you want to receve the message, when you hit enter in facebook you have to remember before hand to set everything, because once you click send it posts.

friends are drag and drop. in google, meaning you have a list on top gridded out of your potentials, you drag them (even in groups) into there respective categories, in facebook this has to be done on a per contact bases, unless they changed something.

Its how the features are organized and how they are accessed, once again. In this way people are able to make sure that they want to send it to a certain group of people, and the grouping of people is easier to do. Facebook you can forget, and the message can fly out like the webcam in american pie, not to mention the way groupings set up makes it more likely that people on google will organize there contacts into a grouping function that they would actually us.

Status
Not open for further replies.