Facebook May Sue Employers Who Demand Passwords

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
This happened to me last month during an interview. After searching for my name on facebook and not finding me, they asked for my facebook login info. I told them I didn't have a Facebook page, but they didnt believe me. After looking some more they dismissed me from the interview. In other words, I lost a job opportunity because they didn't believe I didn't have a Facebook page. I was telling the truth.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i have an account on every social network i know about for one reason and one reason only, to right a big eff you to any employer i may have. basically it states "if you are looking on this you are preforming some amount of a background check, blaa blaa, if i dont get the job because of this, please tell me" basically the blaa blaa is stuff i will get a sanction for repeating, it basically says what i do in my free time is non of your business, but but far more crudely than that. and i want them to tell me to my face its about whats on one of these so i can drop a nice act and tell them how i really feel to their faces.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Wait, you actually NEED a law to be passed explicitly prohibiting an employer to ask for login credentials for websites over in the US?

I mean, here in Portugal the mere thought of an employer asking about login credentials for any site would send most people literally rolling on the floor laughing. Sure, they could do it, but as soon as they did, they'd basically be smacked around by the employee (at the very least, verbally), the media, and the ACT (Work Conditions Authority). And God forbid they'd actually refuse employment or fire someone because they didn't fork the info over, the legal mess would take years to clear up.

They can, however, ask you to reveal if you have an account, and how to access public posts. What you do on your free time is your own thing, but if it damages the company's image, it can still be used against you, but ONLY if it's public knowledge.

That's the way Portugal has handled privacy on the work for a LONG time. Even most medical conditions are NOT to be known by the employer (he can ask you to subject to certain tests, but the doctor can only say if you're fit for duty or not, for the most part), let alone who/what/where you do in your private time.

Seriously, does the word "privacy" have to be defined each and every single day, several times a day, these days? You would hope not, but clearly it does, if you actually need the Government to remind you of it in the form of a law...

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]johnsmith2[/nom]If you still use facebook in this day and age then you deserve to lose your own privacy and your identity. Welcome to the internet, noobs.[/citation]

People have no choice but to use Facebook, because Facebook practically has a monopoly.
The social network market will always be a monopoly market. That's why the government needs to step in and do something.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
So first of all. I think this is BS. No employer should ask for or require people to provide them with their Facebook credentials, however I think I know why they are doing it. Data loss prevention. They are trying to use of and the distribution of company proprietary information through Facebook. I am sure there are some HR reasons as well.

They should probably block Facebook on the company network all together. What is strange though is that they really don't need authentication information to do it. Plenty of security solutions out there that will just man in the middle the https certificate exchange and spoof the client certificate that the user receives.

Will be interesting to see where this goes. I do know that allot of employers have a look a peoples facebook pages when making hiring decisions. People tend to be a allot more open about some of their dirt online for some reason.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]People have no choice but to use Facebook, because Facebook practically has a monopoly.The social network market will always be a monopoly market. That's why the government needs to step in and do something.[/citation]

Why do people not have a choice to use Facebook. What where people doing before Facebook? They could just.....I don't know......actually go socialize. No monopoly on socialization.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]So first of all. I think this is BS. No employer should ask for or require people to provide them with their Facebook credentials, however I think I know why they are doing it. Data loss prevention. They are trying to stop the use of and the distribution of company proprietary information through Facebook. I am sure there are some HR reasons as well. They should probably block Facebook on the company network all together if they are tyring to protect themselves. What is strange though is that they really don't need authentication information to do it block company information from being posted. Plenty of security solutions out there that will just man in the middle the https certificate exchange and spoof the client certificate that the user receives. Will be interesting to see where this goes. I do know that allot of employers have a look a peoples facebook pages when making hiring decisions. People tend to be a allot more open about some of their dirt online for some reason.[/citation]

edited my previous post.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I'm interested in that MN case in which school officials intimidated a 12-yr old girl into giving up an authenticating password (for FB). A sheriff's deputy was present, and did not stop it, nor were the girl's parents notified first. I want to see the school officials jailed on felony child abuse charges, and the deputy dismissed for dereliction of duty.
An authenticating password is private; period. Any potential employer who would ask me for one a second time (after my polite, explanatory refusal of the first request), would demonstrate they are not qualified to be my employer. I would be happy to assist them on Google searches of my name (old Usenet postings I had back in...'91? may have helped me get one very good job), but they will not get any of my passwords. Period.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]joe nate[/nom]Does that mean I can't get a job because I can't give credentials that don't exist, because I don't use social media?[/citation]

At this point in time, yes it is possible that you will be passed by for a job because you can't provide them with a credential that you don't have.

Make a FB account, and fill it with fluff. Doesn't matter if you ever use it or not. Give it to a potential employer. If they comment on it not being very active, you can honestly answer that you don't like it and rarely use it.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Yes, the only ones allowed to see your stuff is the neo SS troops in the fascist FED. All hail Fraulein Janet Natalipano, Sieg Heil

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]This happened to me last month during an interview. After searching for my name on facebook and not finding me, they asked for my facebook login info. I told them I didn't have a Facebook page, but they didnt believe me. After looking some more they dismissed me from the interview. In other words, I lost a job opportunity because they didn't believe I didn't have a Facebook page. I was telling the truth.[/citation]
Yeah, well, I hope you're not really sorry for not working there.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
If the job I'm applying for doesn't require a secret or higher security clearance they won't be getting access to any of my passwords.

Even during the investigation for my clearance in the military I wasn't asked for any passwords for email or other social media. Private companies are getting ridiculous. I would just get up and walk out the interview.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
the proposed bill would carry civil penalties up to $1,000 for the first violation, and $2,500 for each subsequent violation.

Wow! Big fine. Nice to know a single mother can get a penalty for millions for downloading 10 songs but big business can get a fine that is less than a referral fee to an job placement agency? Although I do like the gesture and agree that some legislation needs to take place. Let's start the fine at $50K and then we'll talk.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]joe nate[/nom]Does that mean I can't get a job because I can't give credentials that don't exist, because I don't use social media?[/citation]

But you will have to give them your Tom's password so they can see all your posts here...

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If they really want want "social outlet", then maybe I should give them my battlenet credentials since I am in SC2 way more then FB.

Either way though, I would tell em to shove off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS