Facebook Photo Lands Drunk Driver in Jail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
This happened in the town that I live (North Tonawanda NY) Just thought that was interesting....

Also, glad Facebook finally was used for something constructive.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]d-block[/nom]six months for killing someone? where is the justice in that?[/citation]

None, Pirating a movie could get you that. It would also come with ridiculous fine that no normal person could pay off without going to massive dept and being financially destroyed.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I would stay in jail until I could be released without government monitoring before I accepted being a slave on leash (ankle bracelet). Same goes for those mini education camps the government runs called take this class as part of your punishment.

G

The shows that young people have on tv especially reality shows encourage young women to be nasty, heartless, shallow, conceited, b'tch's. I read yesterday where the so-called elite girls at a high school on the east coast bullied an Irish girl to the point of suicide and then were laughing about it two days later as they partied! It is time for society to take the bull by the horns and stop allowing the garbage that influences young minds and desensitizes some of them to the point where every ounce of humanity is drained from their souls.

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]tipmen[/nom]None, Pirating a movie could get you that. It would also come with ridiculous fine that no normal person could pay off without going to massive dept and being financially destroyed.[/citation]

Exactly what I was thinking, RIDICULOUS.

G

I can't believe our TAX money will pay for this stupid bitch stay in prison!

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I have a friend who did something like this when we were younger. Everyone was drunk and two people died. They were all drunk and knew the driver was as well. She did indeed show remorse (still haunts her) and ended up with 7 years in jail. 6 Months is an insult.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
If she'd been 18 I wonder how much jail time she would've had. She was young enough not to be considered a adult, but she wasn't young enough not to know better than to drink in drive. I wonder how many tv ads she's seen in her lifetime about drinking and driving. I hope she gets sent to federal pound you in the *** prison.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I'm *really* curious how killing someone, in ANY manner, especially while doing something illegal, can only be punished by 6mo. prison. An OWI should be at least six months in prison, never drive again. Killing someone, ANYONE, I don't care if they're 96 with AIDS, cancer, and Alzheimer's, should be 5 years, barring self-defense. 17 or not, at that age, you KNOW killing people is bad.

That doesn't even start on her being a complete dumbass and being remorseful. Honestly, I want to know what happened to her conscience.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cekasone[/nom]dude only 6 months?[/citation]
Yeah, WRT worthwhile punishment, the system is messed up. I vote lobotomy and sterilization.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ValerieH[/nom]The shows that young people have on tv especially reality shows encourage young women to be nasty, heartless, shallow, conceited, b'tch's. I read yesterday where the so-called elite girls at a high school on the east coast bullied an Irish girl to the point of suicide and then were laughing about it two days later as they partied! It is time for society to take the bull by the horns and stop allowing the garbage that influences young minds and desensitizes some of them to the point where every ounce of humanity is drained from their souls.[/citation]

There have been plenty of clinical studies which show that TV and Film violence does not elicit violent behavior from people. What it does seem to reflect, however, is the dominant culture of the time.

G

tipmen 01/29/2010 7:30 PM Hide -2+

d-block :

six months for killing someone? where is the justice in that?

None, Pirating a movie could get you that. It would also come with ridiculous fine that no normal person could pay off without going to massive dept and being financially destroyed.

pirating is also part of a civil charge, not just a criminal charge. but maybe if they started tacking on the civil charge like they do for pirating media, maybe it would straighten out a lot of things. on the other hand if people have no hope of getting out of thier situation, it might just very well drive them into not caring and push them to the point where nothing matters any more because things are so hopeless so what does it matter if they steal or kill all the time.

the only people that drink that i know are the ones unhappy with thier lives. throw in a divorce, death of a loved one, loss of thier livelyhood and it's very easy to fall into a depression and drink or do drugs until you forget what's making you unhappy, that is after all the typical teenage mindset along with most adults that haven't or never wise up. how do you punish people that don't care any more aside from physical and mental torture? send them to iraq or afganistan or to haiti?

as to what mode of thinking this 17 year old teenager is in is probably more of the apathetic. she demonstrated just how f'd up she is by posting to facebook, but i love watching drunks do things that they think are brilliant while in thier stupor. youtube drunk videos FTW!

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
funny about people getting sentenced.this girl kills someone and gets a lesser sentence than i did.

1987 DEC. 1/8 ounce of Cocaine arrested

SENTENCE =
18 months in Lewisburg Federal Penitentiary
6 years of "Supervised Release"
$3600 fine

NO JUSTICE IN USA

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
How did she get away with manslaughter? Death by auto carries a heavier jail term than what she got. She should consider herself lucky....

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The double standard at it's best! Cry a little for the judge & she would have gotten off with even less....

[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]funny about people getting sentenced.this girl kills someone and gets a lesser sentence than i did.1987 DEC. 1/8 ounce of Cocaine arrestedSENTENCE =18 months in Lewisburg Federal Penitentiary6 years of "Supervised Release"$3600 fineNO JUSTICE IN USA[/citation]

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Even though she has a light sentence, we can take solace in the fact that she now has a criminal record, and thus her life is effectively destroyed anyway.

Let her live in the hell that she created for herself. If she's truly sorry for what she did, she'll better herself and recompense for her mistakes (by starting a drink-driving awareness program for teens, for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.