Factory Workers at KYE Treated Like Prisoners

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Good god that's horrible, Someone ought to lay down the hammer of Justice on these Huge corporations.

I work for the Disney college program, and this wasn't to far from what it used to be like years ago from what i heard. College girls got raped all the time, in the Magic kingdom tunnels or by the bus drivers. We make no pay work tons of hours with a "Disney smile" in all types of weather. Not saying my life is worse, but it seems very similar. Disney expects so much and gives us nothing in return.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]in china .... every day is bring ur kids to work day ....[/citation]

And sadly we are all sponsoring this policy...

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
For them: it's either that or have no money therefore no food.
It's sad but what can we do? Fight poverty? Good luck with that.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
That's so sad, I agree with what some one said above that this place needs to be shut down. Microssoft should get sued as well and be made to give compensation to these people for all their years of mental torment, seriously.

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Sounds like army basic training. The crazy thing is that those workers choose to work there because it is their best option. It makes our work-related grievances seem rather insignificant.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]For them: it's either that or have no money therefore no food.It's sad but what can we do? Fight poverty? Good luck with that.[/citation]

When it comes down to it, the only real obstacle to eliminating poverty (and wars) is social norms. But I agree - that's a tough one to change, and takes a long time. But not impossible if everybody were to take part in the effort.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Welcome to the Free market! As in they are working almost for free. I'm sure this isn't the only factory with those kind of work environments. How else can Walmart sell $4 shirts and $300 pcs.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I hate when big corporations go like "OH MY GOD THEY ARE DOING EVIL? We SO didn't know about that! We'll take measures!" in cases like this. Microsoft (like any other company would do) refuses it knew anything about it but I just don't buy it.

cib24

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I've visited a few factories in China when I was living there and seen plenty of documentaries from cell phone factories to Mardi Gras bead factories and it's all the same. Exactly as this Microsoft factory is. It makes no difference and the factory owners won't shut them down and China won't do anything about it since they want to maintain their competitive low cost exporting position. Btw, you would be amazed that the factory owners make Millions of dollars a year too and still won't pay even $1 higher in wages.

The reason these factories can pull this off is because they hunt for rural migrant workers (particularly women) who are uneducated and susceptible to bullying. These migrant workers are looking for extra money to send home to their families or to escape the even harsher realities of farm life and thus think that these factories are a god send at first, despite the horrible conditions and low wages. Also, there is no such thing as a minimum wage in China as far as I know so employers can get away with quite a lot.

G

This is what happens if you don't learn yourself in the educative arts. I know too well how these companies operate. I personally had to watch my mother make lacoste and polo clothing for days on end. Good thing were out if there.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]For them: it's either that or have no money therefore no food.It's sad but what can we do? Fight poverty? Good luck with that.[/citation]

This. Sure, it's terrible, but the workers really don't have a choice, and even then, if you shut down the factory, they're just screwed. It irritates me how people just call for shutting down the factory like that, without thinking of the consequences. More likely than not, life will end up being worse for the workers.

G

That's why Obama bows again in China to President Hu Jintao... he's ok with "virtual slavery" over there.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]GetMy72Virgins[/nom]That's why Obama bows again in China to President Hu Jintao... he's ok with "virtual slavery" over there.[/citation]

Oh yay! Internet political experts!

Look at me telling other people how they should live!

Status
Not open for further replies.