Fake customer support scam

Holden723

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
I called a number which I thought was microsoft but was actually a scam number. I was deperate to figure out a problem with my internet and in the moment i didnt realize I had the wrong number. They used logmein123 and got access to my pc, downloaded a fake pc cleaner and they tried to show me a bunch of viruses that were on my computer that were not their. They wanted me to pay 100-200 for them to take the viruses off. Then i looked at my phone and noticed this was a fake number. I ran antimalware and got rid of two viruses/malware. Am I all good now or could they still have access to my pc?

Solution
It's a good idea to regularly create an entire HDD image which you know to be clean, then getting back to clean system after attacks like this (or any other software-related screw ups) is relatively easy, and certainly faster than an OS & applications re-install.

I wouldn't dream of not having recent HDD images for all the PCs in our household, 'cos apart from the above, you have to be prepared for HDD failure too.
It's a good idea to regularly create an entire HDD image which you know to be clean, then getting back to clean system after attacks like this (or any other software-related screw ups) is relatively easy, and certainly faster than an OS & applications re-install.

I wouldn't dream of not having recent HDD images for all the PCs in our household, 'cos apart from the above, you have to be prepared for HDD failure too.

Solution