Fake Instagram App Laced with Malware Appears on Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
The pop up with a list of permissions prior to installing the apps is there for a reason. Can't really blame anybody else but those who don't take the time to read or understand them.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you don't install a program because it needs complete access to your phone, then you might as well avoid 95% of all Androd apps or games. (And I do for that reason by the way). I find it absolutely amazing all the permissions Android programs require. I bought my Android phone base on all the great things people were saying about Android vs IOS. I can't use hardly anything in the Android Market other than music or books because of all the permissions.

gsxr1181

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Google better fix the issues with the Play Store. Every time I update my apps, at least one of them starts spamming my notification bar. Then I have to use AirPush to find it and then remove the app. It's getting real aggravating. There going to have to start doing some sort of QC before apps are launched.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
How do people complain about Apples walled garden approach while dealing with issues like this. I don't understand it. Nothing wrong with having an approval process for applications to make sure this kind of crazyness does not happen. I don't even bother unlocking my phone for this very reason.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]How do people complain about Apples walled garden approach while dealing with issues like this. I don't understand it. Nothing wrong with having an approval process for applications to make sure this kind of crazyness does not happen. I don't even bother unlocking my phone for this very reason.[/citation]

Cause most of these idiots are getting it from alternative sites other than Google Play. Some malicious Apps have made it on Google Play, most are dealt with quickly. Few bad apps have gotten on Apples App store as well, so no one is immune.

I only get my apps from amazon or google play and have experienced zero issues.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]If you don't install a program because it needs complete access to your phone, then you might as well avoid 95% of all Androd apps or games. (And I do for that reason by the way). I find it absolutely amazing all the permissions Android programs require. I bought my Android phone base on all the great things people were saying about Android vs IOS. I can't use hardly anything in the Android Market other than music or books because of all the permissions.[/citation]
Sounds weird, but most of these permissions are legit. Example: why does an app need permissions to read your phone state? Because otherwise, it would not know when to drop in the background when your phone rings. You would miss a call because of that. The same goes for iOS, don't believe for a second that just because iOS doesn't always tell you what app needs what permission, apps don't actually get those permissions behind your back.
Bottom line is: as long as you get your apps from a legitimate source (and the beauty of Android is that there is more than one legitimate source out there) your risk is close to zero. The only few instances that bad apps make their way to one of these legit stores they're quickly dealt with.
If you leave the "install apps from unknown sources" unticked, you pretty much restrict yourself to only one legit source: Google Play. That way you can be sure there is no malicious app on there. I have used Amazon's AppStore and G-Play with no issues whatsoever for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.