Fake Microsoft Pop Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbarkan

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
So I just got a pop up page with an audio warning and a screen that looked like a pretty good replica of a microsoft screen telling me that my computer had been BLOCKED because it was infected, etc., etc. and to call this . I couldn't close the pop up window or click on any of the other windows that were open on my computer. I assumed it was a scam, so wrote the number down and did a forced shutdown. I have no intention of calling that number.

I used my phone's browser to look up the phone number, and yes, all signs point to a scam. But should I be worried about any bad stuff on my computer now? I ask especially because one of the of the top results of a search of that number is to " and recommends something called "Plumbytes" to "Remove Pop up!" Do I need to do anything? Scam on top of scam??

Thanks, and please be kind. Thanks.

Solution
It's a scam "pop up" that probably froze your browser, correct?

The easy fix is to "end task" your browser.

Quickly press on your keyboard at the same time your control, alt, and delete buttons.

It should pull up a screen that allows you to get to "task manager".

Hit Task Manager. You screen will display all active programs.

Click on the browser you wish to terminate and hit "end task".

You will also lose anything you had up in your browser, but it was frozen, right?

Also, when you restart your browser, it may prompt you to go to your most recently visited sights, DO NOT GO THERE, right? It's where you were frozen...

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Definitely a scam. The only thing you need to do is get yourself some security software (both Avast and AVG have free options) and do a "Full Scan," remove any malware you find -- you may also need to disconnect the machine from the Internet and do a boot-time scan first. Many of these malware processes automatically perpetuate themselves when you attempt to remove them.

sbarkan

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

jmart14

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

I just got one today ; first experienced it last month. I had done a forced shutdown last time; this time, I noticed there was a checkbox in the corner of the popup that would prevent future dialogs. I checked it and the popup did close after that, but came right back. So I again checked the box, but went this time went up to the tab and was able to close it. Didn't come back. I checked my Norton, no access attempts during that time. I think this scam depends upon people being too scared to turn off the computer if they can't close the window, and they panic and call the number.
So, to summarize, check the box in the pop-up, then close the tab it rode in on.
Also be careful when researching answers; I did that right after it happened , and a site called helpmeremovemalware.blogspot launched Fake Scan webpage 12; Norton blocked it. Norton's pretty good, even this basic version that comes free with Xfinity.

sbarkan

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

PaulNWZ: If I already have Malwarebytes-Free, is adwcleaner part of it, and if so would it run automatically during daily scan? Thanks.

EjWestVirginia

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
I just got the same pop up. I quickly sent a message on another device to Malwarebytes while running a scan. Nothing popped up in scan so I researched the number and got here. Glad I did coz I was not calling that number. I did a forced shutdown and am now running a deep scan too. So far nothing. Now just need to warn the hub if he gets one on his laptop. So glad I got directed here.

I hate Pop Ups

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
It's a scam "pop up" that probably froze your browser, correct?

The easy fix is to "end task" your browser.

Quickly press on your keyboard at the same time your control, alt, and delete buttons.

It should pull up a screen that allows you to get to "task manager".

Hit Task Manager. You screen will display all active programs.

Click on the browser you wish to terminate and hit "end task".

You will also lose anything you had up in your browser, but it was frozen, right?

Also, when you restart your browser, it may prompt you to go to your most recently visited sights, DO NOT GO THERE, right? It's where you were frozen...

Solution

Meir__Elazar

Prominent
May 4, 2017
Open a DOS window and identify the URL of the offending site generating the malicious fake popup. Now take the URL of the site which in this case is accesserror9075x014.com but this is true of any such malicious site. In the DOS window type "Ping accesserror9075x014.com" or NSLOOKUP and the URL or Tracert and the URL. One way or another you will get the actual IP address of the site. Now google how to block an IP address in windows (Windows key + R) and type fw.msc. Now follow the instructions to create a custom rule to block that IP address. Next run notepad with administrator privileges and edit the file C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Note that their is no extension and you should not add .txt which is the default of Notepad. Look at examples in the file and add 127.0.0.1 followed by the url which you wish to block. In our example this would be

127.0.0.1 accesserror9075x014.com # Blocked by <your name> on <this date> because <your reasons>

Note that you must only use notepad and not any fancy wordprocessor and it is a good idea to add a comment as shown but substitute you information for the generic field in the <>.

Save the file as hosts. From now on this site will be totally blocked from your computer.

You may also use this for any other sites that you wish to block.

Good Luck

Meir Elazar

Aug 1, 2017

Aug 1, 2017
I'm a Network Security Engineer, and I have analyzed this over and over. So you really are not getting infected. What is happening, is that an invisible i-frame, with a border width of zero is actually inserting itself over the rest of the browser. In it, it is running a Java Script. There are a few ways to defeat this, since these pop-ups are getting prevalent. One way is to simple CTRL-SHIFT-ESC, bringing up task manger, then finding your browser Firefox.exe, Chrome.exe, etc, and ending the task. This however has the unwanted affect of closing all open pages. Another way, I have found in Chrome that works nicely is this. Click the lock icon, or http icon in the address bar. A drop down will show you the currently enabled permissions allowed to run on the site. Simply block cookies, and block Java Script from running. Then the page will close, just like normal, and not close any other pages you might have open. Since this is not actually a virus, there really is no reason to panic, and run a full system scan with AV software. If the AV makers, would come out with a better script blocker for such sites, like Noscript it might help.

adriansafar

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
SO I made a bad decision and called the number, paid the money and allowed them to access my computer. I have since requested a refund from the ms-itsupport company and that process is underway. I am want my computer to be secure again. How do I fix this?

USAFRet

Illustrious

1. Unplug this from the internet.
2. From a different PC, change ALL your passwords.
3. On this PC, you do a FULL wipe and reinstall of the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.