Fastest laptop for surfing the web

ajwary

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
hello,
what is the best ,fastest laptop for surfing the web,e-mails,downlaoding which have clear wide screen. required for home use

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Look for a mid range Laptop. The money you save invest in a SSD.
As rdc363 stated your speed is based more on Internet connection. The 2nd bottlenect is HDD performance (the single biggest Bootleneck of any computer) - An SSD will greatly improve load time and any activity that involves random read/write to Hard drive. DO NOT buy a laptop w/SSD, Buy the SSD your self.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hi there,

The Sony VAIO Z is one of the fastest notebooks you can get. It has a 2.4 GHz Intel® Core™ i5-520M processor and 4 GB of RAM. It is also has a high-resolution LCD screen. I think that this laptop fits most of your specs. What do you think of the Sony?

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

rdc363

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

Spending 2 grand on a Sony Z series is not going to make his Internet any faster.

Seriously, if you want to surf the web and do emails faster get a mid-range laptop. With the money you save buy a good WiFi Router and wireless adapter and get 10Mb cable services if offered in your area. Your web-browsing and email will be damn fast.

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008

Actually, with tabbed browsing and so many sites making heavy use of flash video, behind the internet connection I would say RAM and then CPU are the next most important specs, then your hard drive/SSD. Perhaps CPU will become less relevant with hardware acceleration on the next version of flash, but personally I'd much rather have an overpowered CPU on my laptop running cool and quiet than hearing a jet engine noise all the time when your processor is pegged.

rdc363

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
^^^ with video a decent display adapter is nice too. Most mid-range notebooks will suffice in playing back any flash content, and have enough RAM for tabbed browsing. I just feel a Sony Z series (one of Sony's flagship models) is overboard for what he wants to do.

EDIT = http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644569397&parentCategoryId=16154

I own one, and they're nice, but overboard for just using the Internet.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

I think that your feedback makes sense. I suggested the Sony Z series in part because of the display, and since he will be using it at home I thought it might be serving as a desktop replacement as well. In that case, investing in the fast processor could be a good idea. It really depends on what else he is using it for/what he will be downloading. His budget will be a huge factor too, of course.

I appreciate your input and am glad to hear you are liking your Sony!

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

bewodo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I think any laptops with newest intel SU* should be good enough for internet. When you are choosing laptop, make sure the Wifi card is fast one, this is also very important for wireless surfen. Another suggest would be how about Apple computers? they look good and perform good, too ...

ajwary

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Thank you, I was thinking of apple too

bharms

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
What do you mean by a fast wireless card? Do you simply mean going for wireless N, or do you mean that cards in the same category (b, g, or n) but by different manufacturers will have different performance? If the latter, who makes the best cards?

rdc363

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

Wow, I've not been on here in a while..lol Some cards use better chipsets than others. There are standards that rate the chipsets in different categories, such as sensitivity, power consumption, output strength, etc...

that is why some cards are $20.00 and other are an upwards of $70 - $100. Better performance from different angles, distances, less prone to random disconnects, not phased by interference as bad... the list goes on. Shop with caution, but most of the time one gets what they pay for.