FBI Finally Arrests Alleged ''Wolverine'' Uploader

Status
Not open for further replies.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Wow a new upload site ;)

"Sanchez uploaded the pre-release flick onto Magaupload, a publicly-available storage site."

RAMEON01

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
The FBI finally nabbed the (alleged) guy who uploaded "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" to the Internet last spring.

Sooooo it took the FBI that long to nab some 47 year old guy, AKA "SkillyGilly"? I dont know who looks worse in this article, the FBI or the 47 y/o guy that thinks hes a kid.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation]Although the new Wolverine flick did just fine in the summer box office, the release of the unpolished version caused quite a bit of damage.[/citation]

Right. Nothing to do with the fact the movie was an endless series of bored clichés.
I like the fact that the studios will give an estimate (pulled out of the stygian depths of their flesh, no doubt) of how much the pirated version cost them.

Thinking of it, it did do a lot of damage: if you downloaded it and watched it before it was out, you were able to tell your friends how bad it was and stopped the studio from bilking them.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]sstym[/nom]I like the fact that the studios will give an estimate (pulled out of the stygian depths of their flesh, no doubt) of how much the pirated version cost them.Thinking of it, it did do a lot of damage: if you downloaded it and watched it before it was out, you were able to tell your friends how bad it was and stopped the studio from bilking them.[/citation]
Yeah, no lie. Thanks to that steaming, pile of crap legislation known as the DMCA, groups like the MPAA and RIAA can pretty must just invent losses, then directly subpoena ISPs to give up people they claim are pirating their stuff, and then order those people to pay thousands of dollars or face civil and criminal charges for damages in the hundreds of thousands or even millions (isn't that extortion?).

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that piracy doesn't cost them anywhere near what they claim. People who pirate fall into several categories; some are people who wouldn't have purchased it legally, others purchase it specifically because they were able to get the free (albeit illegal) preview, very few are in the category of, "I would have purchased it legally, but now I won't because I was able to pirate it).

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Wasnt even aware of this being leaked in that kind of version. I remember though a long time ago when the first Resident Evil movie came out someone showed me a leaked version like that with cables hunging and I started laughing.

Anyhow, thing is that yeah it was ellegal etc I wont dissagree on the charge but he might have damaged them by making this piblic and some not watching on theaters for that matter.. I can accept its the case, but I dont think that people that watched it were that stupid in order to be affected in the way that implies from the article and statement of the report , as in it was bad quality and people couldnt understand that the final version wouldnt include the wiring and such in the final version. Specially since that was released before even the premiere..

G

"...Sanchez will face a $250,000 fine and up to three years in prison, or twice the gross gain or gross loss attributable to the offense, depending which is greater."

I like how he could be fined for 2 times the amount of the films GAIN that this uploading caused... they really are that greedy. >_>

neblogai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
I want to thank this guy. Really. That version of X-men- with cables and strange graphic effects- was something that impressed me. I regard it as artful, and definitely better that the normal x-men movies.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
The movie was probably leaked on purpose so Fox can have something to blame for the average box office results for what could have been a blockbuster.

G

Alright, I have honestly had it up to here with the FBI, the RIAA, the MPAA being all high and mighty about this shit. I know for a fact all of the reasons WHY this is not right or it is illegal so no comments on that please. Instead let us look at it from this point of view. There are rapists, murderers, and druggies out there walking FREE right now. People doing harm to themselves and to others and just because this guy uploaded a fucking video, something intangible, he now faces up to 3 years in prison and a 250,000 dollar fine? To the United States of America and the FBI, the RIAA, and the MPAA, would you all go kindly fuck your selves up your asses because maybe if the FBI and CIA paid attention to the important problems in this nation things like September 11th would not have happened! Wake the fuck up assholes and go take care of the real issues!

captaincharisma

Distinguished
this guy was a freakin idiot. the version he had was not even finished yet. it was a copy of the movie that had the special effects missing which im sure the movie didn't even make any sense without them. so he just uploaded a crappy version of a mediocre movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.