FBI Tracking Device Gets Torn Down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]they don't need these things...now they can just ask for your cell phone records and gather the same information[/citation]
Or maybe they could retrieve all your GPS positioning data from you iPhone or iPad.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]real war, however abused policies.[/citation]
I happen to agree with this statement.

I do feel that everyone should pick up a gps jamming device and keep it with them before the government makes those devices illegal (you know they will).

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
This was on Wired last week. The GPS device was "Abandoned" after it was found on an environmentalists' car (she was a member of food not bombs). Wired did a more in-depth tear down of the device.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]bear95[/nom]WANT those magnets!!! Don't know why but magnets fascinate me. Rare earth magnets are the best. Reading this I like the sound of those magnets... WANT!![/citation]
Fcuking magnets, how do they work?

free_radical

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]That's a quick way for format a hard drive lmao![/citation]

If you go to an NMR lab you'll find that computers are used just feet away from NMR spectrometers containing a 10+ Tesla superconducting magnets 24/7 for years. I don't think that even an extremely strong magnet is capable of wiping a hard drive.

free_radical

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]free_radical[/nom]If you go to an NMR lab you'll find that computers are used just feet away from NMR spectrometers containing a 10+ Tesla superconducting magnets 24/7 for years. I don't think that even an extremely strong magnet is capable of wiping a hard drive.[/citation]

It just occurred to me that those magnets are probably pretty well shielded, but nevertheless. I've had my wallet right up against the instrument tons of times and the mag strips of my credit cards were not affected.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Something you don't want to find on your car.With terrorism and pervs out there, such devices have been used for years. From a news-doc, there are many agents out on the field that may get called on at any time to "Watch" somebody and are very difficult to notice.With everything going on - a tip or a red flag may have them open a file on you, they may be watching and checking you out for a bit... and if you're okay, they'll just go away.Example, if you ended up on a terrorist site somehow, maybe flipped through a few pages to check it out and never returned or reported it... you should be okay. If you visit regularly, post info, ask questions on how to make weapons, etc... I hope they are watching you.[/citation]
...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is the perfect result of brainwashing by corporate media. Behold!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]Or maybe they could retrieve all your GPS positioning data from you iPhone or iPad.[/citation]
you also forgot to add any cell phone that uses the Android OS....it's not as secure as people make it to be....i pitty the fool who thinks the Andoid is God's gift to the mobile world....i have such a device and i can't wait to get rid of it, waiting for my upgrade time to come and will get and iPhone ;)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]Or maybe they could retrieve all your GPS positioning data from you iPhone or iPad.[/citation]
That's where the iDevices store the data permanently on your account... I see what you did there.

Status
Not open for further replies.