FBI Warns of Impending Terror Cyberattack

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Only country backed cyber attack could be launched and successful against U S, how many enemies do we have that can launch such attack, if they did how hard would it be to trace it back to them, what are the consequences of such attack? saying that we are about to get cyber attacked is like saying we are about to get nuked, what’s the chances of that happening?

G

Let me guess, the government only need complete control of the internet to stop it. It is for your safety, of course.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
"Robert Mueller told lawmakers to get ready for a terrorist cyberattack."

So he warns the "lawmakers" instead. Uh Huh. Sounds like they're making the sequel to Ferris Bueller's day off, called, Robert Mueller's day off.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Also the power grid isn't on the public internet. They have their own that's not connected to it. So if they say that the power grid got attacked then that's just to hike up the electricity prices.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]This paragraph is almost completely filled with nonsense.Stop watching hollywood movies. If the power grid and the rest of our infrastructure (what, traffic lights? eagle eye anybody?) is "hackable", those are serious engineering design flaws. This is just Mueller playing politics, trying to increase his budget.[/citation]

This might be an attempt to increase their budget, but don't write off the possibility that infrastructure is vulnerable. Many systems that were never intended to have any type of connectivity to the outside world are now directly or indirectly connected to the Internet. Even without any connectivity to the outside world it is possible compromise/destroy systems. Stuxnet proved that this is not merely Hollywood fiction, but it is also no trivial task.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]fracture[/nom]Also the power grid isn't on the public internet. They have their own that's not connected to it. So if they say that the power grid got attacked then that's just to hike up the electricity prices.[/citation]

Internet connectivity is not a prerequisite to being "hacked". Computer viruses and hackers predate the Internet and the most effective means of access may not be purely technical. Often times it is easier to manipulate people rather than computers...

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The sky is falling but if you pay me enough money, I can stop it!

Until the government decides to put google remote into automobiles, then the worst this a cyber attack could do is temporarily shut down a website. If you can hack your way into making a nuclear reactor have a core breach, then whomever designed IT security at that reactor needs to be shot for treason..

G

What I would like to know: If a foreign power is intent on launching a cyberattack on the US, is the FBI the proper agency to counter it? Isn't that what the NSA is for?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"Did you hear something about the FBI?"

"Ah, whatever, alarmists. Our Windows NT 4.0 work perfectly fine, so why upgrade to Windows 7 or 8?"

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Cyber terrorism: Is that what a facebook user thinks after getting his account taken over by someone else?

Jokes apart, the whole story is shocking. Wonder if senators are to argue the investments health and education desperately need are taken away so easily to fund another fake terror war...

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
really all terrorist and so called " Hackivist " groups and/or organizations mainly have script kiddies but some also have good IT ppl who have to much time on their hands and want to get back at some company and/or government which ticked them off thus getting together alot of script kiddies to teach them about where to information the more talented person needs to actually do the cyber attack.
Now if they are smart that is how they will go about it but really how many of them actually have enough forward planning to do a cyber attack a few months to a few years down the road?
For the ppl who do not already know this to preform a "talented" hack attack it takes months of planning to first find the holes in the system then to find which are actually useable for the information injection and/or deletion and/or extraction which the hacker wants as most systems of the bigger guys have very good firewalls. In which yes i know firewalls are not prefect but they make it a pain to get around to do anything the outward facing firewall does not want you to do i.e. a hack attempt.
In that i really dobt that the really "juicy" stuff in the government databases would have ANY outside links at all as i am hoping that the government IT ppl are smart enough to keep the classified stuff in a closed system with no link to the outside what so ever thus no hack attempts possible from the outside but from the inside they are still possible which is rarely thought about by a non-IT person as the more famous ones are from the outside to the inside system not from the inside system to the inside system.
What i am hoping the FBI does is make it so they are able to track more of the hackers in the world, be able to locate the hacker's in the world as the logical and the physical locations do not always match, crack down on the illegal torrents on the web ( though yes i do use torrents for like linux and PC F2P games if they have it as an option as it is usually faster ), and of course finding and/or training their ppl to be better at whatever they do.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
"To date, terrorists have not used the Internet to launch a full-scale cyber attack, but we cannot underestimate their intent," Mueller said. "They may seek to train their own recruits or hire outsiders, with an eye toward pursuing cyber attacks."
by saying terrorist he means hackers like anonymous, now you know what the patriot act and NDAA are for.
hopefully the targeted people are smart enough and have the connections to turn it into a full scale riot that leads to a revolution like the arab countries.
i expect it to be similar to the first american revolution out numbered and out gunned by government forces with few willing to commit to the kind of violence it takes to pay for freedom from tyranny like most revolutions typically follow.
if it follows the chinese model of suppression and oppression then i am done with caring about the rest of the sheeple and their ignorance and cowardice they deserve what they get.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if you believe the FBI you are a fool....the morons will do anything and everything to make us think that we still need them....all these secret services are the big waste of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS