FCC: All U.S. Cell Phones Should Be GPS Capable by 2018

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]mrmike_49[/nom]Bi Brother is watching you.... and he knows where you live....... and where you are[/citation]

Guess I better get a Gaydar on my phone too?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tipmen[/nom]Why would the government need to always track us... (for safety reason? 911 seems like BS to me) How is that serving the people? Sure it could help some people but it will most likely create problems even more problems. The world we live in today :-/[/citation]

you are right, its not a safety feature. but it makes damn sure anyone who calls 911 is accountable. see, kids will buy a phone, and call 911, hang up quick after an abrviated conversation, effectivly prank calling them.

and until recently you could call with voip and have no accountability at all.

[citation][nom]Cirdecus[/nom]Another example of how horrible the US government has gotten. The government has no business telling private businesses what features and devices to integrate into their products. When do these stupid regulations stop!vote for Ron Paul[/citation]

yes, they do have business telling us what we have to have. you may not like it, but america is one of the lesser invasive first world countries. you have to take the good with the bac

[citation][nom]Cirdecus[/nom]I don't understand how a free market translates into so much government regulation and interference?!Are we just acclimated to this type of thing and expect it? This is not freedom. This is corporatism.[/citation]

if there wasn't government regulation, cocaine would still be in coke, there has to be some amount of coke that can effect you, but not be illegal considering that every 20 or 100$ bill has traces of it.

they would find the loopholes and exploit. its hard to adaquitly explain...

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
But..... GPS can't work in door. And I am not going to switch it on 24x7, because it drains batteries.

If it is not ON most of the time, when I switch it on, it might take up to 10 min to lock on.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It is a potentially slippery slope, but I like the idea. But then, I don't live under fear in the United States.

Having a committee to monitor these sorts of things never seems to work out in the US. The committee ends up becoming part of the problem.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Odd thing to "require" by government... I'm fine with it being there but if there is no option to turn it off (and I mean completely) then this is a major red flag.
It's like their "law" to require us to not use/buy incandescent light bulbs ... I mean shouldn't it be the consumer/market who decide what is best for them? These "good for you" laws are stepping over the "too much government" line.

Status
Not open for further replies.