FCC Can Enter Your Home Without Warrant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I have to agree with soldier.. You force your way into my home without reason theirs gonna be some huge problems. I'm not a conspiracy nut or anything like that, but I do believe in the constitution and feel as the government is getting way to ballsy on what they try and do.

I don't blame the FCC guys *the ones that actually come to the house* because by all rights their just following orders, and I would give them the option. Try and follow the order, and possibly get killed, or walk away.

I don't wish dish on any one, but it's gonna take something like that to make it news worthy. And even worse their gonna have to do to somebody who is completely legit as in not doing anything wrong. To get the people to understand and start fighting against it. If the even found a simple joint the FCC would say, "hey but look what we found". And to many idiots would by it.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]As a private US Citizen and full use of the 2nd amendment, I have the right to unload multiple rounds of Black Talon 40 cal rounds into anyone trying to enter my home anytime day or night without a warrant or prior notice. How about that. Clinging to my religion and large caliber and legal guns.[/citation]

Bad argument, only because the right to bear arms was not orginally intended to be used like that (although the amendments were written to be interpretted because of changing times, but I digress and dont want to start this kind of topic)

Either way I think that the courts should change this though since times have changed.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I will start this comment by saying that I do not agree with the FCC's initial decision to fine the guy $7000. However, the guy did at some point apply for, pay for, and sign for a license. He may have even applied for, paid for, and signed for a renewal of said license. The agreement and rules of that license would be apparent to anyone who reads them and tries to know something about what they are applying for, paying for, and signing for.

I also don't like the fact they have to come in that very second to see, even if there is no one present to let them in or to change things before they can see.

As far as little devices (i.e. wireless routers, wireless phones, etc) go, they have been classified and licensed with the FCC via the manufacturer to meet certain criteria for a personal device rating that basically means that it may or may not cause interference with other devices like it around your home, but they will not interfere with any major broadcast equipment. These devices are really not even close to the same ballpark as mediocre radio station equipment much less anything the FCC should concern themselves with inspections about.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
You also have to realize that the FCC isn't going to come kick your door in because your microwave oven is a piece of crap and leaking a little RF or your wiesless router has been tweaked and it putting out a few more mW than designed. They go after idiots that do things that, either intentionally or unintentionally, interfere with other public services such as TV, emergency communications, FM radio, etc... Chances are your tweaked router isnt going to have the same effect on the neighbors as say....broadcasting a radio show on how to cook meth that little Timmy (as well as everyone within a 5 mile radius) picks up on their FM radio across several MHz of bandwith because you're using a $10 tube type transmitter from the flea market with bad caps and a broken frequency dial and have no idea what channel you're transmitting on, and then do this for hours on end. That kind of thing draws attention usually.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry but this has been like this forever. This is nothing new. If your broadcasting a signal that everyone can hear you don't think that's a national security issue to make sure that is clamped down and monitored?

you have to be out of your mind to want something like that go rampant.

Once again the fear mongers strike again.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Actually thisisme the 2nd amendment was written exactly for that reason, they wanted to grant protections from criminals and corrupt governments, try reading the federalist papers.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Bad argument, only because the right to bear arms was not orginally intended to be used like that (although the amendments were written to be interpretted because of changing times, but I digress and dont want to start this kind of topic)Either way I think that the courts should change this though since times have changed.[/citation]
You must have been taught about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights by people who know absolutely nothing about them. The 2nd amendment was gives us the means to protect our other rights and the founding fathers designed it that way.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Funny...no, sorry, its not funny, just sad actually...how many insidious laws that were created in the 30's, are still on the books today. "Stamp act" of 1937, anyone?
So long as people are comfortable letting others tell them what there morals should be, brainwashing wont even be necessary. I'm not a conspiracy theory nut, but its not hard to find corruption in any place where people hold power over others. Just so sad that it all comes down to choices people made for the benefit of themselves.

Sad that in a country so full of abundance, that we have so much greed as well.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
[citation][nom]xxsk8er101xx[/nom]Sorry but this has been like this forever. This is nothing new. If your broadcasting a signal that everyone can hear you don't think that's a national security issue to make sure that is clamped down and monitored? you have to be out of your mind to want something like that go rampant.Once again the fear mongers strike again.[/citation]
You have no idea how this country was founded do you... Time to go read up on your history, and not the one in that bible of yours.
So much of our rights are derived from the knowledge that those in power are easily corrupted, and the "People" are often the victims of that corruption. We are constantly turning into a nation that our forefathers were trying to save us from, after fighting a war with a tyrannical government who did not respect personal rights for the people who started this nation.

How much personal freedom are we to give up for the "perception" of safety?

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Bad argument, only because the right to bear arms was not orginally intended to be used like that (although the amendments were written to be interpretted because of changing times

Are you serious?!? That was EXACTLY the idea they had. The 2nd amendment was for the reasons of defending yourselves, not only against thugs, but primarily against our own government as they had just got done FIGHTING A WAR against a tyrannical government for the reasons of not respecting basic human rights of the people! How many people still think that people are "just reading the phrasing wrong" in those lines, but don't find any other places where those "hack writers" screwed up the phrasing... This is why teachers should not just pass kids to keep them in their own age groups... Most American kids, and many adults, do not even know the constitution or the reasons it was written. I can not even express the sadness or concern, that little bit of knowledge brings me.

bigdaddycool

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I dont live in America but I gotta say ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

The implications of this story are very large. Your talking about having to let virtually ANYONE into your home on the basis they are "who they say they are"..... Maybe they have a badge, a license etc saying they are these people.

If you have kids, a wife etc. Your talking about RISKING their lives possibly on the basis the person at your door might be one of these people wanting to enter and by law is aloud to.

Where is the right to privacy, the right to have rights......

I know speaking from an Australian point of view there is NO WAY I would randomly led some strange men into my house to look at anything if I didn't know them or had invited them in.

NOBODY would barge into my home. Let them threaten you with a fine, if they fine you........ go after them through the courts because fact is........ they could be casing your joint to steal stuff, be child molesters, want to harm your family or terrorise you etc.

Thats not being parinoid, thats FACT.

America needs to wake up and smell the HUMAN RIGHTS again.......

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
It's great how our governments seems to want to ignore the fourth amendment. No one should have the right to enter your house or personal property without a warrant and probably cause of some sort of illegal activity.

We keep taking baby steps in the wrong direction.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
"the amendments were written to be interpretted because of changing times"

No, the constitution was written to be ammended because of changing times. The ammendments actually mean what they say, and intentionally misinterpreting them is dumb and evil.

Art Faucett

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Isn't it interesting how all of this spying was a huge problem with Lib's when Bush was in office, but now that Affirmative Action got into office, they turn a blind eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.