FCC Complaint Filed Against Verizon's Tethering Ban

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is just BS to make easy money. They say your PC uses more bandwidth than your phone. But how can that be when your phone is the weakest link in the chain of data. You can't exceed the throughput of the phone so they're argument is simply BS. If this is a problem for them they should learn to use the word "Unlimited" properly.....

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
personally i think that we should be able to use the "Tether" function for free...we already pay for internet service...wtf verizon

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]Many people do not want to root their phones.[/citation]

The main reason people do not root a phone is a matter of convenience. Lack of technical know how and no knowledge of any realized benefis from a rooted phone. If the phone does exactly what it was purchased for what is the need for a non-technical user to root it?

The bulk of features I enjoy most from my rooted phone have nothing to do with tethering.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Either way the user will always lose. IF tethering turns to be "allowed" there will be caps still... and a good reason for them to charge even more for the service. The way it is right now it testes a bit like censorship sponsored by Google.

G

Consumers...always expecting something for free....I say open up tethering, but increase ALL cell plans by $20 or so with a 2GB cap on data usage....that'll teach em to bitch.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Tethering on unlimited plans is partly why AT&T got hit so hard when iphone users started signing up in droves. Don't get me wrong, AT&T's lack of infrastructure investment was surely the main part, but TBH, it's the people that abuse tethering privileges by canceling their home service and streaming absolutely *everything* through the cell network that ruins it for everyone else. If you didn't have so many people abusing the system, you'd see carriers using it as a value-add to get you to buy their unlimited data plan.

I hear over and over about people with their new unlimited VZ LTE plans canceling home service because *it's just as fast*. Well, believe it or not, wireless bandwidth is a much more limited resource than you think. The more tards that "cut the cord", the slower everyone else's service will be. Did you really think you were the only one smart enough to figure that out, D-bag?

I'd personally love the ability to tether any time for free, I'd root my phone for it. However, I'd also gladly trade that capability even with a rooted phone so that when I do USE MY PHONE for data, it actually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS