FCC Finally Nuking Annoying "Robocalls" With New Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Not long. I guess if a company played a robo message that lasted 20 minutes but the "opt-out by pressing *#643125987394***** comes at the very end, it is still useless.
Maybe this was accounted for in details omitted by this Tom's article.

G

Now all they need to do is eliminate the ability to forge caller ID. Without that ability the ones that ignore the law won't be able to hide any longer.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
The new rules also eliminate a loophole that allowed telemarketers to place robocalls if they had an "established business relationship" with the consumer. Previously U.S. residents had to sign up for a national do-not-call list to be exempt from this loophole.
I've been on the DNC list for over 2 years. I have an account with US Bank and I still get calls from "Cardholder Services" or whatever it is. Really pisses me off...it's always a recording asking me to stay on the line because they're worried about my well-being and that my credit card interest rate might be too high. Go figure.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
What about robocalls from politicians? Those are becoming the worst. Apparently the FCC has exempted political robocalls from their do not call ruling...

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I'm with NapoleonDK. I have filed MANY complaints over the last few months about these calls from "Cardmember Services." I too have been on the DNC lists (Federal and State) for years, and reconfirmed that they're active. This is willful wrongdoing; I want someone caught, convicted, and put down like an animal. GAME OVER.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
thank god i dont live in the us, and i dont actualy have to pay anything if someone calls me on one of my cells. And i dont have annoying phone calls like that.

d-isdumb

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
Now if we could get them to limit TV advertisements to 10 minutes of every hour instead of the 20+ the shove on us now life would be good.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I switched to Voip and now I only answer numbers that I recognize. Those that keep calling = blocked. So far no problem. Also it's $100/yr instead of $25 a month.

yumri4

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
to d-isdumb if they do that then the cost of a tv advertisement will go up and it most likely will be reflected in the cost of the products to the consumer thus hurting us in the wallet instead of just wasting our time with advisements for junk which we do not want or need.
On the FCC ruling i am sure the companies have a team of lawyers working on finding them a loophole for getting around it.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@NapoleonDK and jtt283, I get these all the time too. I don't think it's from any legitimate organization, but rather from phone scammers trying to get my personal and bank info. It's fraud. The calls come in from god-knows how many real and imaginary phone numbers, so they appear to be experts at befuddling the phone system and caller ID technology. A couple of times, I've stayed on the line long enough to get to a person, just to see if I could get that person to tell me any info that I could use to track her down (it's always been a woman with an ESL accent). But no luck. Post if you ever figure out how to get these B@$7@rd$, so that I can go after them too.

Now they need to expand the do not call list to include charities, campaigns and surveys. If someone does not want to be called by any entity they have no business or charitable relationship with they should be able to register and avoid those calls. The list should also allow businesses to register their lines.

It is ridiculous that I have to field cold calls on my business phone just because it is advertised. That line is for customers. I never have and never will do business with someone that cold calls me. Since it is a cell phone I tell them that and to put me on the do not call list. Then I file a complaint with the FCC.

They should also require any company with a US phone number to have actual offices in the US. That way they can be fined or closed down and the managers imprisoned. Rather than foreign call centers just leapfrogging through a US number and ignoring all rules.

Also rather than waiting for the FCC to take action. Individual consumers should be able to sue telemarketers directly for the amounts listed on FCC fines. That willll stop cold calling fast. For do not call list numbers the company must prove that they had a prior or ongoing business relationship with the number called.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Regulating those damn campaign robocalls should also be put into the new law. I don't know many times in one week those damn annoying campaign robo calls called my house and it's just going to get worse right before the national election. Crap like that makes me not want to vote.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I get automated calls every day.
The national do not call list did not help (they simply change phone numbers each day).
Something tells me this will not stop them ...

Status
Not open for further replies.