FCC Fondles Free Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

Internet service providers are the next super money power that ROB users of their money with LITTLE actual effort on their end for the service. They don't own the internet. They just let you pay them for a gateway access to it, which they RENT. Basically, it's like insurance. Pay a lot, up front, with the idea that you're getting a service. In the end, you're getting ripped off, and they make massive profits.

Free is an ugly word, because the truth of everyone being completely stolen from with how much they pay for internet access is MIND BLOWING.

Cheers,

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
It is indeed, I pay 50 a month for a max average dl speed of 822 kps, 20gigs per month max downloads and 10gigs max uploads.
I can't play most new free mmorpg's today because of the high bandwidth, i surpass this shit limit and wind up paying more.
You think the states are bad, canada's worse...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]If by 822kps you mean 822 kilobytes per second(6.5 megabits/sec) I can not think of any game that needs more then that to play.What game is that hard on bandwidth?[/citation]
any ipx game tunneled thru an ip package - doom2 etc.

Anyway, I'm guessing he's referring to kbits

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]It is indeed, I pay 50 a month for a max average dl speed of 822 kps, 20gigs per month max downloads and 10gigs max uploads.I can't play most new free mmorpg's today because of the high bandwidth, i surpass this shit limit and wind up paying more.You think the states are bad, canada's worse...[/citation]

I live in Quebec, Canada and my broadband package is a little better than that. We have a 5mbps bandwidth (compared to 10 and more in the Montral area), 35gb of download/upload per month (unlimited between midnight and 8am) for 40$. It's more than anough to play any online game and I can live with downloading at around 625kb/s. I guess your ISP just suck. That's the problem of living in a region with no competition (this is also why we need AMD and Intel *wink* *wink*).

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Free internet sounds great, but the idea of the government controlling it kind of scares me. Also, do we really need MORE government spending right now?

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
In the end, there's no such thing as "government spending"... all they can do is spend money they've taken from you or your children in extra taxes. That's beside the point, though.

"Free" Internet service would be something for people like my 70-something parents who feel that their 120 minutes of dialup a month for $10 is all they ever need for a very occasional web page and reading their non-rich-content email. I've tried to get them going with paid high-speed but they just won't buy into it. The free plan would be of use to those types so they can actually subscribe to MS Automatic Update for their XP workstation and updates to their anti-virus definition files.

Now as far as Comcast's upload/download limits - don't even get me started. Argh!

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I'm wondering if maybe this article should be called "FCC Ponders Free Broadband." I can't imagine that "fondles" is appropriate?!?!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Honestly I have always thought the internet should be a free service anyways. It it such a great tool to obtain knowledge and that's just one of its many uses. If my free internet dream came true it would put every company out of business and be funded by taxes. The average Joe's job would be safe because the government could just rehire them to help maintain the service while the high ups who decide to give themselves a 20 million bonus would be out of the picture. Causing the tax to be less than what we currently pay today.

Of course this will never happen with out government with it is today basically they are all puppets of the corporations today.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I'd be surprised if the democrats didn't vote in favor of this. Helping provide services to low-income households is one of the common traits, and monopolistic big business is frowned upon. If the government were to mandate free wideband, they'd limit content access for sure--and they should, for the same reasons libraries would--but they'd take away the lower levels of service demand from the ISP's. So what should they do? Make faster service cheaper and get on the gigabit internet bandwagon. Japan has remote satellite service in rural areas that tops 2 gigabits for cheap, why are we stuck with satellite service at 400kb/s for $50? Why are we paying for only 8Mb/s for cable broadband for $60? Even Verizon is better, 50Mb/s unlimited bandwidth for $100, and it's still a rip off! They need to make it cheaper for the companies to offer faster speeds at lower prices than to allow the nationwide price-fixing that's going on now, just because upgrading their hardware from 10-20 yr. old gateways and switches to current fiber-optic networking equipment would dig too deep in their profit margins. Right now, Verizon FiOS is the best deal in America for price per Mb/s and options, but FiOS isn't available everywhere. It's the localized monopolies held by the big ISPs that does this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS