FCC Probes Verizon's Higher Early Termination Fees

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ergor

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
The solution is quite simple: DON'T go with Verizon. You have the choice to choose a different carrier. The government should have no role in changing a companies policies. Don't like the way a company does business (as in this case Verizon) then don't go with them and if you already are bitch them out. That doesn't get results then threaten to sue them and then actually sue them of course! I hate their company but love the service thats why I haven't and damn well won't sign another contract with them. There are serious business problems with the company and so many bullshit maneuvers they've pulled with me I wish I had the money to sue their asses.
Then again AT&T sucks ass too along with Sprint, T mobile, and the list just goes on. I wish we had much better choices with honest business practices.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]particleman[/nom]I think if you can provide a just reason for cancelling your service, you should be allowed to have the fee waived (i.e. Losing your job, death of the primary contract holder etc.)If someone keeps signing up and cancelling their sercvice, that would be a red flag of a reseller. I agree with Kri77777..........Great Service....horrible practices.-PM[/citation]
Most cell phone companies do waive the ETF if the primary contract holder dies since they are the only one that can legally be held responsible for the bill. You can't collect money from someone who's dead. As for other unfortunate events like losing your job, companies should not be required to waive any and all debts you have with them. It's not their fault you lost your job.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]Dirty Durden[/nom]Why is the Government getting involved in a private company? If you do not like their service, do not do buy their product, it's that simple. What gives big brother the right to tell a company what they can charge for their services? OK so next they will tell me & my small company what I can charge for my services. We need to take our country back from these fascist (fascist: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control).[/citation]

Because when companies start using extortionary practices they become little different from racketeers which is a crime. They are doing it under the "color" of business which they think makes it acceptable. It is not.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]My lease for my apartment was a year. 2 years tied into a cell phone contract is rediculous and that trend needs to end 5 years ago.[/citation]
No it's not. If it weren't two years I wouldn't get big discounts on awesome phones like the iPhone. Nobody wants to pay $500+ for a brand spanking new phone if they have a way of getting it for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.