FCC Releases Internet Speed Test Tool

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]How come when I click on the "show" button, it never works anymore?I've noticed this since a few days ago. Maybe there has already been a discussion about it?I've tried it on both firefox and IE and both browsers have the same problem.Sorry to post off-topic, but this is bugging me.[/citation]

Me too. This problem is similar to one I'm having on a couple of other sites that offer user feedback and comments. An ad-blocker maybe?

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I don't like it. They want your address just to test your broadband speed. Why? Other sites can identify your ISP and test your speed without that info. I'm going to stick with speedtest.net.
Plus, broadband.gov is so slow to load (for me). It loads most of the way, but then the little circle keeps spinning... and spinning... and spinning while a few images never load. This is in IE and Firefox on either of my two PCs. I guess they do have a beta disclaimer at the bottom of the homepage, but still!

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I'm not sure where this is going to go... All I see happening is if the destination site is the FCC monitoring site, the traffic gets high priority, otherwise its regular priority. Thus, to the FCC, everything will look normal...

Joeladam02

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
HAHAHAHAH!
This is what I got when I attempted to use the tool.

Error Occured During the run:
Error: Server Busy: Too many clients waiting in server queue. Please try again later.

Ironic isn't it?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Paying for 18MBps and currently receiving 10MBps. 10MBps is plenty for me but if I switched to the 12MBps plan the speeds would drop to 6 or 7MBps. I don't think I've ever actually received the speed that I pay for. Oh well.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
everyone is saying they are just using speedtest.net guess what so is that government site. the speedtest.net site is operated by ookla net metrics. so is the government site they just threw there name on it and as to the address they just didnt use net metrics gui and are using that to ping to the closest server in your area

G

They want my address before I can even use the tool. I don't thinks so!
Their mission is very different than that which they have declared.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]Me too. This problem is similar to one I'm having on a couple of other sites that offer user feedback and comments. An ad-blocker maybe?[/citation]

No clue, it's just weird because I have never had this problem until fairly recently.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]How come when I click on the "show" button, it never works anymore?I've noticed this since a few days ago. Maybe there has already been a discussion about it?I've tried it on both firefox and IE and both browsers have the same problem.Sorry to post off-topic, but this is bugging me.[/citation]
I thought it was a problem on my end lol

xenogen

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
The site requires flash...damn you Apple. Well At&t is off the hook from their network. Apples conspiracy to keep the FCC off their back with the iPhone

gh0st

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
This is more or less targeting ISP's that are getting away with "financial rape of the consumer". e.g AT&T , Comcast
I think it's great if they are making a public statement to these companies and or, are proving their findings to back a case against the overcharging giants.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Kilo11[/nom]I work for an ISP's IHD, if your not getting the internet connection speed that you signed up for you should really contact your IHD. All ISP's usually have a requirement that your connection speed be within 70-85% of your provisioned speed (the speed you signed up for). If your not within that range then they should issue a repair ticket to have someone look into it.[/citation]
70-85% of what an ISP offers is acceptable? Then how about we pay 70%-85% of the price for what they are offering then?...food for thought and directed towards ISP, not you.

I have had no problem with TimeWarner RR as their rated speed for my area is general right-on.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
yea the problem is when u go to a site that doesnt hold a constant connection like there all your testing is your companies verison of speedboost. i have comcast and rarely get the 25down 5 up i pay for i can go to speed test but when i download a file that is 2.5gb over 10 minutes between my works corporate internet that is raited over 100 symetrical and i have checked it because thats part of my job in it. and i cant sustain anywhere near the 25m that i pay for

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I have to agree that these speeds in most cases are not sustainable during actual use.

I can pull 12-15mbps down on speed test and around 5mbps up I believe but I still get "buffering" and speed adjustments from Hulu/Netflix occasionally and files simply don't download at those speeds. Granted part of that is likely due to the site your connecting with not being able to sustain the required speed...but still I have a feeling some of that is on my end.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
lol ryric im not doing it from a site im doing it from the company i work for... 100mb symetrical connection and it has the bandwidth and its less than 10 min away and on the same backbone line that comcasts is so i know its not an issue on bandwidth its the fact that comcast bs of speedboost is represented as there actual internet connection not the advertised speed

G

IM definitely not putting my address in here so that they can know what my IP address, plus my address

Status
Not open for further replies.