FCC Urges Carriers to Unlock Phones — Or Else

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Its a shame that people don't research the stuff they spend money on, but whine and complain when it doesn't do everything they thought it would. If you buy a phone from AT&T, don't expect to be able to take it to Verizon.

With that being said, I applaud the FCC for actually trying to protect the consumer, but I also applaud Google for offering a true unlocked phone since the Nexus 1.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Untili the FCC actually forces carriers to comply, carriers most likely won't voluntarily allow users to unlock their phones once their respective contracts have expired. From a profit/revenue standpoint, its in the carriers' best interests to keep users locked in. Carriers will likely voluntarily allow users to unlock their phones only when the FCC's threat's are about to become a reality. Then the carriers can make themselves look like they're the good guys.

I do applaud the FCC for trying to do something "right" for a change though. It's a good step forwards.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
What's the point since most phones are designed for one carrier only? Unless you can switch between VZW, ATT, Sprint, & T-Mobile, there is little point to this. I know T-Mo & ATT were interchangeable for 3G, I don't know if that's still the case for 4G. In any case, unless you can freely move your phone between all 4 carriers, they have little incentive to directly compete.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
^^^
Net10 sells a package of sim chips that fit various phones.
I unlocked my T-Mobile 4G phone before the deadline and slapped in the Net10 sim then flashed a Team Acid Rom. Unlimited 4G service for much less.
The entered connection info was for old T-Mobile now Net10.

miguelrwilliamson

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
<b>my neighbor's half-sister makes $82 an hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for 8 months but last month her check was $21541 just working on the internet for a few hours. visit here =====>>> http://www.jobs25.com<b>

natashasparker

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
my roomate's mother makes $81 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for 5 months but last month her pay check was $20615 just working on the laptop for a few hours. go to my site

=======> W­W­W.J­O­B­S­2­5.C­O­M

Status
Not open for further replies.