Feds to Carpathia Hosting: Hang on to the Megaupload Files

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Funny thing is, holding the data doesn't require power - switch off the servers and the only remaining cost is rent.

Providing data services for someone who abuses it should not be just cause for ploughing legal action against them. Does that mean we go after all ISPs for providing the mechanism by which people access this illegal content? The transport is little different to the storage.

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
to all the idiots remember stealing is when you deprive someone of their property...

with digital downloads no one is being deprived of property since a copy is made...\

see stealing a bike is different from copying someones bike...

when you steal someone is deprived of their property....when you copy you are allowing more than one individual have a product, with out anyone being deprived of property....

its like going to the art store and taking a picture of the crap on the wall....but not buying any....is that person taking the COPY or PICTURE stealing????

but this is what you idiots want....a police state....

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
[citation][nom]raringcoder[/nom]Funny thing is, holding the data doesn't require power - switch off the servers and the only remaining cost is rent.Providing data services for someone who abuses it should not be just cause for ploughing legal action against them. Does that mean we go after all ISPs for providing the mechanism by which people access this illegal content? The transport is little different to the storage.[/citation]

hey moron it costs them money cuz the data they are storing, is not being paid for, could be used to hold someone elses data that is willing to pay for it...

seriously so many retards here....

we all just need to take up arms against the govt and kill what ever govt "officials" try and steal or infringe on our rights...

I SUPPORT violent revolution against the us govt and any us govt employee in defense of freedom...

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]So if Carpathia can be sued, then any one hurt by a gun, knife, etc should be able to sue the company that made it.This entire incident is fail after fail. Someone end the RIAA and MPAA will you?[/citation]
if the law states that only that gun, knife or toothbrush can be sold only to qualifying government agencies, then yes, they can be sued.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]If I were carpathia, I would claim a large power outtage, because of funding issues, that crashed the servers, thus resulting in the total loss of their megauploads archive.[/citation]
that could be done if all the money in the company is transferred out and they can not pay their electric bill and the electric company turns off the power. then they can tell the us attorney " they should have paid to keep the power to the servers on!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]storybookhero[/nom]How about stop stealing and all of this will go away. I like how everyone acts like it is perfectly ok to steal..yeah its the US government that's scumbags here. I hope they get rid of all these scumbag pirates so that the rest of us can go back enjoying the products we actually purchased.[/citation]
how about you stop assuming american law is WORLD law and rights. other countries will kill you for less. don't believe me, go drunk driving in saudi.

Status
Not open for further replies.