File Sharing After Megaupload: 8 Alternatives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thanks for the information in your article. I appreciated the pros and cons, and since it was written as a "review," I expected the author's opinion. I've been using technology since before the advent of the IBM PC, and on my first attempt to retrieve a file from a file sharing web site, accidentally clicked on a GIANT download button near the top of the page, assuming it was THE download button for accessing the file. Of course, the button was NOT the file download button, but adware that launched a series of aggravating ads. So, I take issue with the comment, "If you cant tell a fake download button from a real one, then you should not be using the internet at all." I'm pretty careful about where and what I click on the web, but as a novice with file sharing sites, I got hoodwinked.

I work from home and often need to be able to share large files and to collaborate in the development of files with others. I want to use a sharing site with non-tech-savvy customers, friends, and family without worrying about sending them into adware hell with misleading buttons.

I'm grateful for your review and comparison! Thanks for your help!

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]viciouz2000[/nom]Yeah, whoever wrote this arctile is an idiot. If you cant tell a fake download button from a real one, then you should not be using the internet at all. These are the people who click on stupid links that install infect malware. /citation]
Why should the Internet be a "survival of the fittest" enterprise? You shouldn't have to be extremely web-savvy just to avoid becoming infected with malware, or tricked into installing ad ware. There's nothing wrong with ad-supported services and content, but there is something wrong with actively luring visitors to the wrong thing that you know they aren't looking for. That is disingenuous.

Rachel Rosmarin
Managing Editor, Tom's Guide

pizzaboythefirst

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Well, I am pretty sure there must also be some other "interesting" filesharing services now that Megaupload is a gonner and that this whole deal already scared some services into closing down their filesharing options, that is besides all those cloud storage services.

And I also would not assume that all megaupload filesharing users were into sharing copyrighted stuff, there were also people who used it to transfer their legit files faster and to be able to access their files and documents anywhere they needed.

Since we're talking about that, I read some rumor on a technology from audials.com for filesharing. It's presumed to be a safe and legal alternative to megaupload and filesharing or something like that, if I recall correctly.

Anyone else hear anything about this? Pretty curious to see what's this audials filesharing service rumor really about.

G

The Mega Upload shut down has stirred up a lot of controversy but people are moving towards better options like www.tawkle.com

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Besides, illegal file sharing is the only reason anonymity is such a big deal.

Excuse me but anonymity is a big deal to me not because I have to hide something, but because I don't want everyone know what the hell I am doing.

G

personally I like to use www.TVRe1ease.com so i do not have to download anything to my computer

dlocker

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
https://www.dlocker.com is a Open source storage cloud which provides file hosting & sharing solution.We support upto 244 MB per upload . We are providing free file hosting services which may concentrated on Unlimited disk space , Efficient socialization of files with your friends. Instant downloads without any delay and without any carry files ,Highly Secure environment with SSL certificate, All free accounts and easy file management etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.