Files cannot be open in a folder

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hi guys, i know this thread is in the wrong place, but i could not find any category to chuck it in to, so i'll just do it here. So the thing goes like this. Recently i found out some small issue from my windows 2003 server, and when i want to open a file from a specific folder, it says that the file could not be found from e.g: folder\folder\folder\folder\folder\folder\folder\folder\folder\folder\my file. I've googled it, and what people said was that there is no limitation to the number of folders you can have inside a main parent folder. So is there anyone who knows how many folder can there actually be in the parent folder?

Or normal users except admin of the network wont be able to view it? Because when i log in as the administrator, i am actually able to see it. So for now, i remove the folder before my files, and chuck them at the last 2nd folder. Then everyone is able to open it. Weird though.. Anyone encountered this before?

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Sounds like a user privileges issue, not a "too many folders deep" issue. I can't find the resource on this but I vaguely remember the folder limit somewhere in the 10,000's range for how deep they can go. So if your OP is any indication, I doubt you're getting close to that limit.
Check the permssions between the folder that works and the folder that doesn't work. I suspect the broken folder doesn't allow User (or alike) groups access.

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Yea i thought so too. Google told me that, and like you said around 10k folders. I've tried deleting the folder and re adding it. Any single folder does not work. Even after i've tried to remove and re-add the permissions for the users. It doesnt seems like an access issue to me though. More like a broken link for any folders after it. Because it mentioned that file is not there and stuffs, instead of insufficient priviledge to view them. Werid huh..

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Yea, weird... But I guess this is how us IT guys earn our keep. :)
Few questions

- What are the client OSes? (trying to make sure they're Win and of a decent age)
- Are the users mounting/linking to the location via networked drive (e.g., X:\folder\...) or are they getting their via server name link (e.g., \\servername\folder\...)?
- If above is drive letter, is it possible remount closer to the destination (or mount a new drive closer)?
- What is accessing this folder (e.g., Access hitting a ACCDB, custom app doing similar, or File Explorer for general content?)

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Client OSes varies. XP - win 7. it's from a server name link. The documents are just excel sheets. just a few rows of data. total size is <50kb. What ever i put in a newly created folder, its the same, inaccessible.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Simple enough

Sorry, few more questions...

Can I assume the users are accessing the files via standard Explorer?
Are they .lnk/shortcuts, or are the users navigating to this location?
Have you tried mounting a network drive directly to this location?
Does it always fix the problem to bring them up 1 folder level?

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
For certain users, yes, they use shortcuts. For some, they enter through the long way. Some from the main parent shortcut folder they have from the desktop. For me, i tried to enter through run and \\network drive. I didnt try mapping it. Didnt know whether it will solve the problem or not. Since im able to access the file with administrator and not with my normal account. And yea, like i said, i chuck the files to the previous folder, everything can open.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I would try mounting a drive much closer to the destination, if not right at the destination.
I'm thinking there might be a folder depth limit over network shares (as where we've discussed NTFS is ok at several thousand deep). But I have to say I'm rather stumped by this one.
Can the files live one folder higher? Probably a stupid question, as you wouldn't be searching for a fix if they could. :)

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Yeap thats the issue. I've never came across this problem before. If there's a folder depth limitation like you mentioned, i can accept that. But if using the administrator allows me to access the files, and not other users.. something is really wrong.

Yep, it can be done by having it a folder higher, and that's what i'd done. Basically its just to organize the folders by year, and i told the users not to do them. They can do that only after this year has past, and the next year's docs, the same thing will have to be done.