FINALLY: Apple Announces Event for January 27

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Iphone haters/Apple news haters = losers! Verizon is for girls and Homos! Sprint is in last place next to T Mobile![/citation]
and my mom is fatter than your mom

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I've been considering a tablet for years now, but none have grabbed my attention enough to throw down a grand or two.
While I may not be a Macintosh fan, if they can make a tablet I like, I'll buy it.

fortmccubble

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You should get +20 for that.What exactly do people think your job is, to juggle chainsaws, spin plates and play the piano?[/citation]
This is exactly what I expect of Jane.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You should get +20 for that.What exactly do people think your job is, to juggle chainsaws, spin plates and play the piano?[/citation]
Hmmm... you know what? I'd pay to see that.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

As the daughter of a former escape artist/magician, I will someday meet these demands.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]drip_is_a_drip[/nom]@drip50291: your mother sucks cocks. Wow, I can be a useless noncontributing toolbag too![/citation]

This is an insult? Would have worked better if his father sucked cocks.

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Well, how do you like that, now confirmed, iphone with a Qualcomm chip for Verizon in June, and speculators, speculating that the iTablet will most likely run on Verizon Wireless.

Hey AT&T, what happened?

Exclusive: Qualcomm to Power iPhone
Scott Moritz
01/07/10 - 08:13 AM EST

Updated with Qualcomm comment.

SAN DIEGO (TheStreet) -- Apparently it's bakeoff season in tech, and the latest blue ribbon goes to Qualcomm (QCOM Quote).

Apple (AAPL Quote) has chosen Qualcomm as its chip supplier for the new version of the phone headed to Verizon (VZ Quote) this summer, according to Northeast Securities analyst Ashok Kumar. Kumar confirmed the decision with the manufacturers and suppliers involved with the phone.

The win is the second high-profile victory for the San Diego tech shop this week. On Tuesday, Google (GOOG Quote) announced that its Nexus One phone -- made by HTC -- will be powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon chip.

"It's looking like Qualcomm is beginning to be the one to beat," says Kumar, referring to the company's rising status in the smartphone race.

Apple representatives were not immediately available for comment. And a Qualcomm rep said "nothing has been disclosed yet."

The iPhone win, while huge for Qualcomm, doesn't involve its Snapdragon platform, but a 3G wireless technology chip for EV-DO, says Kumar.

Initially, Apple sought a chip that would allow it to sell a world phone, one that was compatible with the two leading wireless technologies -- GSM and CDMA.

But Qualcomm and others failed to deliver. Instead, Apple elected to go with Qualcomm in its Verizon iPhone, which is expected to arrive soon after AT&T's (T Quote) exclusive contract with Apple expires in June.

The loser in this deal is Germany's Infineon (IFNNY Quote), the chip supplier to the AT&T iPhone.

Qualcomm shares are up 3% so far this year, continuing what was a 25% gain for 2009.

-- Reported by Scott Moritz in New York

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9143107/Apple_s_tablet_will_use_Verizon_s_3G_network_sources_say

Status
Not open for further replies.