FINALLY: FIFA Considering 'Goal-line Technology'

Status
Not open for further replies.

davcon

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I'm a big NHL fan and found it ridiculous that the biggest sport in the World didn't have video goal review.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Bad calls are the absolute worst part of soccer. When a game can be decided by one disallowed goal or a single bad call, it really takes some excitement away. Most other sports have embraced this, I think this is long past due.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
it's not like the decision of the goal changes anything right ?
1 goal 2 goals .. no goal ... its all fun right ?

tell that to the millions of ppl watching.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still pissed off about the england disallowed goal.

It probably wouldn't have changed anything, but ya never know. Going into half time tied 2-2 and just tieing it up is a heck of a lot better mental mindset then being down a goal and knowing the you just had a legit goal disallowed.

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Bad calls are unfortunate, but also a part of football. Having a sensor that triggers when the ball fully crosses the goal line is not a bad idea, but that's where it should stop. Adding video reviews would make football a slow game with too many interruptions like handegg.

G

Old news.

This was posted yesterday all over the world including big news sites like CNN.

Don't care if you vote me down for pointing this.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
[citation][nom]firehead2k[/nom]Bad calls are unfortunate, but also a part of football. Having a sensor that triggers when the ball fully crosses the goal line is not a bad idea, but that's where it should stop. Adding video reviews would make football a slow game with too many interruptions like handegg.[/citation]

eh... it's 90 minutes one way or the other. They don't even stop the clock when they pull a guy off the field. I think every player should be awarded the opportunity to video challenge being carded with a limit like tennis. Bad goal calls are only one thing plaguing Football. Something has got to be done about all this goddamn flipping and when you get rid of that shit I'm certain the pace of the game will improve.

Tohos

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]firehead2k[/nom]Bad calls are unfortunate, but also a part of football. Having a sensor that triggers when the ball fully crosses the goal line is not a bad idea, but that's where it should stop. Adding video reviews would make football a slow game with too many interruptions like handegg.[/citation]

Football is already a slow game...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think it's time most (if not all) sports started embracing technology. You can work out the small details later. (like getting into habit of stopping time in soccer while reviewing footage)

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I would like video referees to come into play like they have in rugby. That way the stupid woman players can get sent off for diving like little children

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
While I see the validity of goal line technology, I do wonder what the psychological effect of eroding the authority of the referees is. Also, isn't hating the refs part of the sport? ;)

dezonio2

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
yea, that would def interfere with the game, it would be a disaster if football was forced to change because of the video review... Bad calls have been a part of the world cup for 80 years... that said, if they can find a way to make a speedy decision (like a 5th ref at the monitor that can say to the main ref: call handball, call offside, call or don't call goal without much deliberation) it may be a good idea that should not delay the game for more than a few seconds...

kohvitass

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
at the argentina goal against mexico, i saw the video replay like 15 times while the referees were discussing and players fighting, and at the end of the huge time waste the referees made the wrong call.....really pathetic

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Adding this technologies will be a big change to football (soccer). When I watch a match I know and accept that referees errors are part of the game. Half of the players skills are acting related, trying to trick the referee is an important part of the game. Adding these technologies will render the games results more fair, but lower the charm of this sport. On a side note, today kids can play football with the same rules as the World Cup players, after these changes it won't be possible anymore without the adequate infrastructure.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tohos[/nom]Football is already a slow game...[/citation]

Compared to most US sports, it's extraordinarily swift. Are you sure you're not confusing it with American Football?

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I wonder why they are so protective of having human refs make 100% of the calls. Having a backup system to double check close calls doesn't make the refs any worse. Unless the refs are the ones that has the biggest egos.

Status
Not open for further replies.