Fired Google Employee was Apple Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
1) Google evades tax, something you can't tolerate, period. Taxes are high enough as they are, but you can't even think about lowering them further if big companies try to evade them. Perhaps if all those gray zone things like cash bonuses, tax credits and other tricks were removed from the tax code, you could significantly lower taxes without having to cut the amount of services the state provides.

2) So what if he worked at Apple? If that's really the reason, which I doubt, Google was childish to fire him (unless he took part in industrial espionage, but then he'd have received a police visit by now)

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]What's the difference?[/citation]
Stole the thought right out of my mind! I used to get bonuses with a previous employer and the tax rate was about 40%. That means a $1000 bonus comes to a meager $600 with 400 going to uncle sam.

If I wanted to give my employees a special bonus I sure as hell wouldn't want uncle sam receiving half of it. It's a bonus for a reason, it shouldn't be taxed any more than regular income but it is, unfortunately.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Definitely doing some tax evasion. Just look what Google does with its offshore tax evasion efforts. The common guy gets taxes to death, but the big corporate companies get off scott free.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Well i must interject in this SEA of asinine ridiculous comments. Google paid the taxes on the $1000 dollars so each employee would get exactly $1000 dollars and not 664 Dollars after tax. DUH.(what is the tax rate of bonus'? almost 50%) I guess many of you have never received a bonus so you don't understand how heavily it is taxed.
The fact that ex APPLE ass clown leaked operational knowledge that was deemed private by GOOGLE is a clear violation of the privacy clause he signed and that is why he was hired. FAT Liberal Bastards like Wozniak can choke on one and those who are bashing practices and scenarios they know nothing about can choke on one too.

Have a great day misinformed fools

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
He released info that should have remained private until disclosure time. That's why he was fired, and the fact that he was Apple's employee #6 only means that he knew exactly how wrong is to do that, but he chose to do it anyways. It's not like he was an assembly line worker who stumbled upon some info and released it by mistake.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Conspiracy theory much? lol... do you guys honestly think Google is getting out of paying tax on it just because they gave it in cash? Wow.

How about Google giving employee's a grand because getting handed $1000 in cash has about 1000x more impact and goodwill creation than seeing a number on your direct deposit slip (that your wife will spend before you get home).

As far as they guy was concerned... Google told employee's to keep it quiet so people could get home safely. Seems that's a pretty good reason to keep your damn mouth shut. The guy decided that the safety of Google employees wasn't as important as his little ego boost from breaking the news. I'd fire his ass too.

Flynn_Serlant

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

You people realize that the second link provided goes to the article discussing the $1000 bonus, and it goes on to say that Google had already paid the taxes on said $1000 bonus? I have no idea of Google does engage in tax evasion policies, but it's a little presumptuous to accuse them of it based on this article.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
So they fired him because the "safety" of fellow co workers was "possibly" put at risk because he let people know that they got a cash bonus? Hmm.. IF google doesn't have a "solid" legal defense over that firing, which I doubt they do btw, I'd sue their asses for unlawful termination. I may not know everything about the law, and I don't claim to, but I'm pretty damn sure that without an explicit clause regarding this situational occurance, that firing someone over the now "possible" criminal acts of someone else is not legal. And if it's not, it damn well should be. A cash bonus is something that will be visible on pay stubs, w-2's etc. Once that damn money left Google's hands it was NO LONGER within their realm of power. And that's effectively what they tried and did do. Now, I do agree.. It would have been WISER to keep shut until people got home.. But it isn't, and shouldn't be illegal.. And hence.. I'd sue sue sue sue sue. And if he really is from Apple.. He should be good at that by now ;D

Hamsterabed

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]So they fired him because the "safety" of fellow co workers was "possibly" put at risk because he let people know that they got a cash bonus? Hmm.. IF google doesn't have a "solid" legal defense over that firing, which I doubt they do btw, I'd sue their asses for unlawful termination. I may not know everything about the law, and I don't claim to, but I'm pretty damn sure that without an explicit clause regarding this situational occurance, that firing someone over the now "possible" criminal acts of someone else is not legal. And if it's not, it damn well should be. A cash bonus is something that will be visible on pay stubs, w-2's etc. Once that damn money left Google's hands it was NO LONGER within their realm of power. And that's effectively what they tried and did do. Now, I do agree.. It would have been WISER to keep shut until people got home.. But it isn't, and shouldn't be illegal.. And hence.. I'd sue sue sue sue sue. And if he really is from Apple.. He should be good at that by now ;D[/citation]

A. it hadn't left their hands, B. a company can say what should be released to the media and what shouldn't be released as long as it is with in legal limits which this bonus was.

G

Yeah! Probably the guy simply talked about something he was proud about his company, a careless thing to do, but, whatever... Did it really deserved such reaction from a so-called liberal and carefree company, a place where people actually enjoy working? Well, for me it is completely contrary to what Google once epitomized. Wozniak is to the point. This guy was a software/firmware hero and Google fired him for not being discrete... That is the problem that plagues big companies, politics start playing a much more important role than actual technical skills, and the leechers raise to power positions while the workers are kept like pet ants.

Status
Not open for further replies.