Fired Google Employee was Apple Engineer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twist3d1080

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]So they fired him because the "safety" of fellow co workers was "possibly" put at risk because he let people know that they got a cash bonus? Hmm.. IF google doesn't have a "solid" legal defense over that firing, which I doubt they do btw, I'd sue their asses for unlawful termination. I may not know everything about the law, and I don't claim to, but I'm pretty damn sure that without an explicit clause regarding this situational occurance, that firing someone over the now "possible" criminal acts of someone else is not legal. And if it's not, it damn well should be. A cash bonus is something that will be visible on pay stubs, w-2's etc. Once that damn money left Google's hands it was NO LONGER within their realm of power. And that's effectively what they tried and did do. Now, I do agree.. It would have been WISER to keep shut until people got home.. But it isn't, and shouldn't be illegal.. And hence.. I'd sue sue sue sue sue. And if he really is from Apple.. He should be good at that by now ;D[/citation]

California is an at-will work law state... which means that as long as you not fired for race, sexuality, religion crap like that you can be terminated for just about any reason.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Steve Wozniak..... the apple co-founder that hates the iphone and changed his mind about it..... yea tell me more about what he thinks.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
This guy didn't know how to do his job properly so he was fired as he should have been. Hopefully Google can find a more competent employee to replace him. Anyone who leaks private company information should be fired. People who release info about unreleased products without the permission of their superiors or product discounts early (like black friday deals for example) should also be fired immediately. A simple slap on the wrist is NOT acceptable in these cases. If you want to have a job then you need to strictly adhere to your company's policies.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]Definitely doing some tax evasion. Just look what Google does with its offshore tax evasion efforts. The common guy gets taxes to death, but the big corporate companies get off scott free.[/citation]
Corporations don't actually pay taxes...they just pass the cost down the the consumer.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Hamsterabed[/nom]A. it hadn't left their hands, B. a company can say what should be released to the media and what shouldn't be released as long as it is with in legal limits which this bonus was.[/citation]

A. Also not important. B. A Company can say what ever it wants, but there are no laws that can back up a company that wants to keep pay secret. Google, Microsoft, or any other company can not tell me what I can, or can not do with money in my wallet. I was told I'm getting paid something, thats my pay. Not theirs. I gotta tell the bank if I want the new amount included into a loan request. I gotta tell the Big Brother so they can steal my money, err.. take my rightfully owed taxes. Pay information is not nearly as secretive as companies might want. But that hardly makes it illegal, and justification for termination. And C. Don't do the A.B.C. thing. It comes off sounding like a self-righteous prick. Not saying you are, just saying how it looks. Try something else. :)

[citation][nom]Twist3d1080[/nom]California is an at-will work law state... which means that as long as you not fired for race, sexuality, religion crap like that you can be terminated for just about any reason.[/citation]

http://www.nosexualharassment.com/Wrongful-Termination.htm

Just a thought. Could be applicable.. Maybe not, but could. Also, just because the state does an "At-Will" employment, does not make it impossible for people to sue over being fired "wrongfully". It does however give companies more leverage, and certainly more power.. But that doesn't stop people from sueing, and winning, on occasion.

[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]This guy didn't know how to do his job properly so he was fired as he should have been. Hopefully Google can find a more competent employee to replace him. Anyone who leaks private company information should be fired. People who release info about unreleased products without the permission of their superiors or product discounts early (like black friday deals for example) should also be fired immediately. A simple slap on the wrist is NOT acceptable in these cases. If you want to have a job then you need to strictly adhere to your company's policies.[/citation]

...Breathe much? And his job wasn't politics, which is what the pay issue really comes down to. I say fire politicians for politics. Fire regular joe's for regular joe crap. A slap on the wrist is more than sufficient in this case. Zero-Tolerance policies have almost always created more problems than they have solved.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Google's early days they used to give cash bonuses from the back of a armored car!! lol Im glad the leaker got canned, no excuse to leak company business and make non-googlers envious!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.