First Direct Image of Alien Planet Confirmed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]A Wormhole is a bend in space and time. a Blackhole just sucks everything up with it's powerful gravity and condenses it into a tiny spot, kinda like a garbage compactor. Sp, Black holes don't go anywhere, they just kill you.[/citation]

umm... though I don't think Wiki = correct information 100% of the time... but if you are interested.. there is one on the wiki about the wormhole.

here is the "short" qourt:

" "maximally extended" refers to the idea that the spacetime should not have any "edges": for any possible trajectory of a free-falling particle (following a geodesic) in the spacetime, it should be possible to continue this path arbitrarily far into the particle's future or past, unless the trajectory hits a gravitational singularity like the one at the center of the black hole's interior. In order to satisfy this requirement, it turns out that in addition to the black hole interior region which particles enter when they fall through the event horizon from the outside, there must be a separate white hole interior region "

Of course these are all theory... but still..... Enjoy

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonfang18[/nom]Pandora?[/citation]

Maybe a little too hot to be the Pandora... but I like the idea...:D

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]SevenVirtues[/nom]Oh and to be technical, we have hundreds of pictures of alien planets, Mars, Venus etc.You mean first picture of a planet outside our solar system.Man I'm such a dick lol.[/citation]
That was the first thing I thought.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
over 2,700 degrees Fahrenheit... won't cool down to Jupiter levels for another few billion or so years.

They just built too many pylons.. Science vessel and Yamato gun will take care of that in a few seconds.

Spore

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
This isn't the first direct image of an exoplanet ever taken. It's the first image of an exoplanet taken from a ground based telescope.

A bit more info here: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/30/another-direct-picture-of-a-planet-orbiting-an-alien-star-confirmed/

G

Wormholes wont work because all matter that passes through them is rearranged. It is mathematically possible to fold space to allow FTL travel, as a physicist in Mexico recently proved, if you have a big enough energy source.

Why bother? Mars is right around the corner.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]I'm guessing a planet that's "eight times the mass of Jupiter" will have a lot more then 3-4 times Earths gravity, especially since Jupiter is already a lot more then that.[/citation]

I think that depends on the radius and the rotation of the planet if we're talking about someone standing on the surface and getting crushed. Besides gas giants don't have a "surface", they just get denser and denser from the upper atmosphere on down.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]SevenVirtues[/nom]90% of things we are taught about space, distant planets, black holes etc. is all guess work.[/citation]

Yeah, same was true about atoms, relativity, etc. Psychology is guesswork, this is hard science. Sure they may be making mistakes but a lot of the time science turns out to be right.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Interesting, they can image this far away planet and yet all they can manage to get of Pluto is some fuzzy images.[/citation]

That's because Pluto is incredibly dim. This planet is far more luminous than pluto. It's about a million times more massive and far far hotter.

As spore said and as his link states, this is *not* the first direct image of an extrasolar planet. It is, however, the first direct image of an extra solar planet orbiting a sunlike star taken from a ground based observatory.

One of my friends is at Mauna Kea right now actually. Observational astronomers get to go to all the cool places. :(

metatasian

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
[citation][nom]SevenVirtues[/nom]at the end of the day the planet could be just like earth. 90% of things we are taught about space, distant planets, black holes etc. is all guess work.[/citation]

No it can't be just like earth, a planet 8 times the mass of Jupiter cannot develop the way earth has with breathable air, mountain ranges, seas etc. it is likely to be a gas giant. Also, most of the stuff we know about space, planets, black holes etc. are based on concrete science, not guesswork.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]DM0407[/nom]It's not a planet its a prototype of Nvidia's next GPU.[/citation]
Normal exasperating temperatures: 4000 degrees Celsius.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]razercultmember1[/nom]hotter bigger and more likely to explode![/citation]

Making it different from the first gen original ATI 2900XT how?

Status
Not open for further replies.