First iPhone Virus Rick Rolls Your Phone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]anonymous3592896[/nom]I thought apple was immune to all viruses? Up yours apple! More users = more viruses so quit your BSing.[/citation]
This.

Also, remember to check where links go before you click on them. (I avoided the Rick Roll :D )

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]mbmcavoy[/nom]I don't know if that is a possible attack vector, but I'd be surprised...Anyway, this isn't an "Apple" vulnerability. It only affects those who have1) Jailbroken their iPhone to remove Apple's security provisions2) Installed SSH to allow remote access3) Failed to change the default passwords, against the advice of the jailbreaking community.In other words, the people that want their iPhone to be more like Windows are installing their own security holes...[/citation]

You mean "more like Unix" right? Since, that's what the SSH is a native component of, also what Mac OSX is built from.

It's doing nothing to make it more like Windows. Making it more like Windows would be .. well, installing an NT Kernel.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
so ... lemme get this right ... you install a network app on a jailbroken iphone, forget to change the password of the network app and ATowns from Australia will change your screensaver to a pic of Rick Astley? and the fix is ... changing the for the network app on the jailbroken iphone? cmon guys. quite a stretch calling this a virus.

AtuBrian

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
its not hacking when u already use the defalt passowrd my wise and beautiful friend not that hard to make a source code either

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Yay, l33t skillz was able to transform the iphone into a jaibroken phone, now i can do anything i want with it and install l33t software from the torrent web.

Oh nOES! somebody out there with more l33t skills than me has installed a trojan on my jailbroken iphone! FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

lubitz_420

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
This would be all well and good, however it infects only jail-broken phones and therefore is only an issue for people who have subverted all the securities put in place by Apple. Claiming that this is an OS X or Apple problem is ridiculous at best.

Understood but even jail-broken Iphones run off their core kernel which is unix based. A jail-broken phone is nothing but the core with the restictions removed (most of the time). Once the malware or whatever is coded to run native on the hardware it's only a matter of time before said restrictions on non tampered phones becomes little more than an inconvinience to said malicious programmers.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]Jane, Jane, Jane...Jaaane... Jaane JAAAAAANE! YOU NAUGHTY LITTLE RICKROLLIN' GIRL YOU![/citation]

Surprised anyone clicked at all.

intesx

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
[citation][nom]stravis[/nom]....Claiming that this is an OS X or Apple problem is ridiculous at best.[/citation]

Apple users claim that about Windows computers all of the time. The biggest weakness in Windows is it's users being oblivious. This is true of the Mac as well. Those who believe they are impervious are most likely to harm themselves.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]intesx[/nom]Apple users claim that about Windows computers all of the time. The biggest weakness in Windows is it's users being oblivious. This is true of the Mac as well. Those who believe they are impervious are most likely to harm themselves.[/citation]

+1 Well informed PC users (Windows or otherwise) know how and what to secure on their PCs. Being laid back and thinking of your invincibility has brought down some of the greatest generals, how much more of an average computer user.

horendus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I got this virus last saturday night!! (Victoria, Australia) OPTUS NETWORK

I was at a club and i was drunk and i didnt know WAT the F$K was going on lol

When i found out i thought it was sooo funnyy!!

It destroy my wifi though...i had to restore my phone to be able to see wifi networks after this happaned to me....

G

seriously, this is half optus' fault and half users fault

we cant block ports on iphones, optus should have a NAT firewall like telstra or vodafone to prevent people CONNECTING to the iphone its a smartphone not a 3310

Status
Not open for further replies.