First Laptop/ Desktop Replacement

LifeInMyOpinion

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hello, I am asking about what laptop I should get, for these purposes; a desktop replacement; light-moderate gaming; movie/video editing; internet surfing; school work; all for ~750$. I will most likely not use the battery often. These laptops seemed most suitable Acer AS7740g-6364, or the AS5740g-6979 with Core i5 430, ATI 5650 Graphics, a 500GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM, all in similar. The differences are that the 7740 has a 17.3" screen at 1600X900 and is only 705-735$, while the 5740 has a 15.6" screen at 1366X768 and is 750$. You might say right away "go for the cheaper one!" but it is not that simple; I have been reading about faulty video cards in the AS7740, and I was wondering if I should take the risk. In your honest opinion, insightfully and thoughtfully tell me which laptop I should get.

Solution
sorry my computer posted it before i was able to write anything.
I wouldn't worry about the video card problem because even if you do get a bad one the company will replace it for you. The main difference here is the portability between the 2. i prefer the larger resolution bigger screen but if you need something to be more portable then go with the smaller laptop. Considering that you're a student i would recommend the smaller laptop. Good luck with school.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
sorry my computer posted it before i was able to write anything.
I wouldn't worry about the video card problem because even if you do get a bad one the company will replace it for you. The main difference here is the portability between the 2. i prefer the larger resolution bigger screen but if you need something to be more portable then go with the smaller laptop. Considering that you're a student i would recommend the smaller laptop. Good luck with school.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS