Five Essential Ways to Save the BlackBerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Man i've had two blackberry's (a curve and a tour) and both of them still work ive never had a problem in terms of build quality (and im a carpenter which says A LOT). Altough i have since moved to an optimus t from Lg (i hate this phone) i DO miss my blackberry. Well guess i have to wait 6 months to switch phones again. Hell i might even get a galaxy S i heard those were pretty great.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
i was going to go for the optimus t

but all i heard were horror stories

in the end i went for the orange san fransisco, its a rebranded zte blade (£107)

there are custom roms for it if you like that kind of thing

there is an app called blade unlocker that can take away the sim lock in a matter of minutes

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]If they can't keep up with the pace, then why try to save them? Just delaying the inevitable.[/citation]

Because more competition is better, especially for the consumer but also for business in general, it also creates more jobs, which the US desperately needs.

BB has the ability to make a comeback, now all it needs to do is get the competent active leaders that actually believe in the products .

G

What becomes rare can easily become niche and then popular all over again. Gees see how apple nearly fell !

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Blackberry should be dead. I'm irritated it's not, to be perfectly honest.

Blackberry uses 3DES encryption
ActiveSync uses SSL V2 port 443

In the real world, the security difference is minimal. Licence costs of running BES are about twice that of ActiveSync. Phones that support ActiveSync are more feature rich and user friendly. ActiveSync is also easier to administer by IT.

I'm drawing a blank as to why a company would support blackberries. And... I guess that's why I've seen several IT departments drop them in my travels.

I want competition and all, but if RIM can't keep up, then maybe they should at least have the most cost efficient solution. As is, I just want them to go away.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I have a BB Curve 8530. It does the job. I love the keyboard. I like how durable it is. I like that, much like Apple, BB are fairly closed systems, that have a lot of give when it comes to popular hardware specific optimization.

I wish it was faster, particularly when booting up and multitasking.
I wish it had more applications.
I wish some standard features (like adding to existing contacts, and a sound-profile scheduler, and a send calendar entry feature) were not omitted.
I wish the BB had some simple little conveniences to make the experience better... Like an application killer...
Sure, a nicer screen would be nice too...
But it just boggles my mind why some apps are missing...
Is it so hard to program for BB OS 5,6,7 that nobody wastes time to make that 3rd app?
I want a Mint app, dang it!

G

"BlackBerry smartphones are not considered “cool” anymore. They are not the phones you would want to be seen with, nor are they the phones that give you access to the latest trends that are emerging on other platforms."

This comment is biased, inaccurate and flat out WRONG. Blackberry phones are VERY popular, extremely desirable and many people believe that they are cool. They also connect to the core services offered in many verticals and some that the other platforms do not. That quote from this article is COMPLETE RUBBISH.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I'm with RustyTrombone here. When you talk about a Blackberry is usually when you are serious about getting a smartphone. When you what something to work with and do business with. Usually iPhones and most Android phones are looked as "grown men toys", nothing more. BB's now take the place Nokia left in the "serious business" crowd.

It might not be a very big crowd, but still a very important one.

And who says they're not popular? For the average joe, a Blackberry is for business men. Period.

Cheers!

captaincharisma

Distinguished
not where i live. half the people i see have blackberry phones. the other half are the apple sheep

all blackberry has to do is stop trying to get some of the apple sheep and concentrate on keeping the phone tailored for businesses. with the news now they are going to allow you to use android apps with the new OS the that should be enough to keep the mainstream happy

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Because more competition is better, especially for the consumer but also for business in general, it also creates more jobs, which the US desperately needs.

i guess so but blackberry is a Canadian company

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]RustyTrombone[/nom]"BlackBerry smartphones are not considered “cool” anymore. They are not the phones you would want to be seen with, nor are they the phones that give you access to the latest trends that are emerging on other platforms."This comment is biased, inaccurate and flat out WRONG. Blackberry phones are VERY popular, extremely desirable and many people believe that they are cool. They also connect to the core services offered in many verticals and some that the other platforms do not. That quote from this article is COMPLETE RUBBISH.[/citation]

Umm, sorry man, but he isn't. Blackberries are flat out miserable, ugly paper weighs. Them being popular with the silver-haired professionals that use them due to an inability to adapt with the times, does not count. "connect to the core services offered in many verticals and some that the other platforms do not"? What? Examples. Also, as Android and iOS are still growing, and blackberry(thankfully) is dying... More options, and connectivity will present themselves in time.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
There are hard-core Apple people. Guys with multiple iPads, Mac Pros and iPods who wouldn't let you pry their BlackBerrys away from their cold dead hands...

There has got to be something to them if they have such a devoted niche fanbase...

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Blackberry being certified doesn't mean anything. You can easily use something like Good Technology's software to secure/manage iOS and Android devices.....which is also FIPS certified.

t-pain

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Blackberry should be dead. I'm irritated it's not, to be perfectly honest.Blackberry uses 3DES encryptionActiveSync uses SSL V2 port 443In the real world, the security difference is minimal. Licence costs of running BES are about twice that of ActiveSync. Phones that support ActiveSync are more feature rich and user friendly. ActiveSync is also easier to administer by IT.I'm drawing a blank as to why a company would support blackberries. And... I guess that's why I've seen several IT departments drop them in my travels.I want competition and all, but if RIM can't keep up, then maybe they should at least have the most cost efficient solution. As is, I just want them to go away.[/citation]

In the real world, you can run BES Express for free. Also, it doesn't get much easier than inputing your company email address to get synchronized with the BES server.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Dying?..lol My company won't allow anything with the name Apple or Android in it touch our servers. Most people I see with berries are younger than me and I'm 38. If you want a toy with "gameboy level security" (love that quote..lol) get an iPhone or Android device. There are reasons why RIM devices are the only ones certified for use by government employees. Enjoy playing Angry Birds...lol[/citation]

Yes, dying. The numbers consistently show that. And whether your company allows android or apple(lol), is of no real significance, nor your "sight-experience" as I can't recall seeing anyone in the last few years, of an age close to mine(28), or below, with a blackberry. They simply are not wanted, as far as I can tell. And as for their "security".. The extra security it might have, is hardly worth the cost, especially as how you can't use blackberries for "secret" level communications anyway. Also, blackberries are not the only ones certified for government employees.. I have several none blackberries that I can issue out to people at my command, as I am the resident VTC-A/V-Phone Support technician. Perhaps you are going based on outdated information? And also, as I did say before.. iOS, and Android, are growing. RIM, number wise, might as well be in a nose dive. Soon enough(government wise), a total shift will be complete. It just takes time, and maturity as a platform.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
RIM deserves what they get... They were slow to adapt as a company. Instead of innovating and capitalizing on the consumer market when they already had the enterprise market in their firm clutches, they chose to stand pat... Keeping their OS kind of difficult to use, with no emphasis on useability and media functionality... Their foray into the 'touch' area with the Storm was a reaction to the iPhone, not an innovation. It put them along the path of slow, but inevitable obsolescence... They shouldn't have banked on their Enterprise IT advantage, and should have made every effort to make the BlackBerry a user friendly experience... At least to the developers...

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Dying?..lol My company won't allow anything with the name Apple or Android in it touch our servers. Most people I see with berries are younger than me and I'm 38. If you want a toy with "gameboy level security" (love that quote..lol) get an iPhone or Android device. There are reasons why RIM devices are the only ones certified for use by government employees. Enjoy playing Angry Birds...lol[/citation]

This!^

Yes, for the overwhelming majority of folks that produce and have serious work to accomplish, BB is the way to go. It still is even if the media pundits wants it to be otherwise.

If you're a trendy hipster living off mommy and daddy's dime by all means buy those Apple toys. When you start working it will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS